Serena Mountain Lodge(Mount Kenya National Park)
US$304
TripAdvisor
Shiptons Mountain Hut(Mount Kenya National Park)
Mount Kenya Ecocamp & Villas(Mount Kenya National Park)
TripAdvisor
Tribu Hotel(Mount Kenya National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsol pejeta conservancygame driveschimpanzee sanctuarywatering holeluxury tentswater holeblack rhinomain buildingelectric fencenight safaripastahot water bottles at nightserena campdining areabuffet stylesweet watersmorani wing
Reviewed 28 March 2018

This was my fifth stay at Sweetwaters. When booking this camp with my Tour Operator, I requested tent #1 or #2 which is right on the water hole. The only time I have not stayed in these tents, is when I was traveling with another person and needed a tent with two single beds. Confirmation for tent #1 was made and reconfirmed by Amazing Memories Safaris since Anne knew this was important to me. When I checked in, I was told I was “upgraded” to the newer wing because two school buses of children were occupying the area I was supposed to be in. I let them know I was not happy, especially since my tour operator was never informed. Typically, when the animals come to the water hole, they don’t come anywhere near these newer tents (I've walked the camp many times). Once again, this was the case. The animals that did come, were by Tents 1-7, but didn't stay long as the children scared them off.

Since the children were leaving the next morning, I asked that on my second night I be moved to Tent #1. Once the tent had been cleaned, my belongings were transferred. There was a bit of an electrical issue in Tent#1 this trip. After I returned from my afternoon game drive, I went to turn on the desk lamp. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor having received a heavy shock from bare wires on the cord. I can only imagine what would have happened to a child if they had touched it. I went to the receptionist and mentioned it. They sent a maintenance guy out to repair it. Later, I noticed similar exposed wire where the lamp plug was plugged into the power strip. Maintenance may want to look at these connections in all tents.

Tent #1 not only has the best spot right on the water hole, but you can easily sit on your porch or even at the desk inside with the tent flaps open and watch/photograph the birds. I can see why some guests would prefer to stay in the newer tents. They are beautifully furnished. But for me, the other side puts you much closer to the wildlife.

My last stay here was in October, 2015. I was pleasantly surprised to see that James, the dining room manager, was still here as well as Harrison and Anne, who I knew from previous stays. Their memories are amazing. I truly enjoyed the conversations I had with them.

Room Tip: Tents 1-3 have best view of water hole
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Our forth stay here. Do I have to say that we just love Sweetwater! The area is wonderfull with the waterhole in the center. The tents give you a feeling of luxury, the main building is magnificent on both outside an inside, the staff is friendly, welcoming and doing a great job! I love coming back!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Staying at Sweetwaters Serena Camp was indeed the most beautiful & inviting place immaginable! Winding stone walkways meander through the trees to individual thatchroof tent/lodges with solid sliding glass fronts. Great for viewing the wildlife out on the plains. Wake up to the glorious sounds of birds singing in the trees. Comfortable beds and baths, plus ample interiors lends that real "out of Africa" experience. Restaurant dining is buffet style, and the food is absolutely delicious. This is a "MUST STAY" for those who desire complete comfort & ambiance.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2018

If you are looking for somewhere close to nature but with many of life's comforts then consider this Camp. For non-residents it's expensive to enter the Conservancy but the fee lasts for your stay. The 'tents' are spacious, well appointed, clean and well looked after. The nice bathroom at the end of each tent can be closed off. I liked seeing the trees named and hearing the sounds of nature as well as being close to a water hole.

Room Tip: There was no a/c noise in my raised tent but I could not see the water hole.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2018

Sweetwaters was our accommodation for 2 nights during our week in Kenya. The old homestead had a lovely feel to it and I loved the photos of the past displayed and art work. The staff were very efficient and especially in the Dining Room where we were looked after so well by Harrison. The food was deiicious (especially the soups). Only problem was trying to keep our intake to a minimum!
The tents were great, clean and spacious and a nice touch was the hot water bottle when we retired after dinner. It was great to see quite a few rhinos plus the rhino cemetery and know that the anti-dog poaching unit is making a difference, protecting these amazing animals. We loved the waterhole when in the evening we could sit and watch the different birds and animals come and go. Thank you. I did enjoy my stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the waterhole.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends