All reviews cape breton watch tv home made family suite gorgeous sunset nova scotia the blue room lovely home other guests stayed one night alpaca wool rouden daach red roof dogs and chickens jim berries hosts
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We saved this B and B for the end of our trip through the Maritimes and what a way to wrap up our vacation!! The views were incredible, the walk down to the ocean was amazing, the house was stunning and the breakfast was the best we had all trip. I love that Joseé and Jim try and use local home grown products and the result was extremely tasty. The family style breakfast with the other guests was also just a lot of fun. On top of this they were just lovely hosts - the friendliest, happiest people we have ever met - with the sweetest bunch of animals. Despite all the animals the house was spotless, no dog hair to be seen. Everything about this B and B was perfection. The worst part was that we had to leave :(. Thank you for such a sweet stay. We hope to be back one day!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
serendipity6650, Owner at Red Roof Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Thank you Rebecca for your nice words, it was lovely meeting you,come back any time!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Our family of four stayed in the Family Suite on two non-consecutive days on our way to and from Cape Breton. Of all the places we stayed at during our trip, Rouden Daach was by far the best (and also the cheapest).

We enjoyed everything about this B&B. Jim and Josée were terrific hosts, with Josée being the quiet one and Jim providing comic relief.

When we arrived for the first night, we asked Jim how to get to the beach so that we could unwind. He gave us directions but they were not required. Momo the dog guided us to the beach and back. Access to the beach requires climbing down a cliff where the brook empties into the sea. Not hard to do but also not "accessible". Like many of the beaches in this part of NS, it is stone and not sand. Lovely just the same and gorgeous sunset.

The 7 alpacas and two donkeys are friendly and like to be petted.

We got two different breakfasts, both substantial and excellent, made with fresh ingredients and berries from their garden. Josée also accommodated my vegetarian daughter.

Josée sells beautiful items she knits from the Alpaca wool. She doesn't push her wares so be sure to ask her if interested.

All in all, staying at the Rouden Daach was one of the highlights of our trip and when we compare it to the others places we stayed at, Josée could certainly charge more.

WIFI was free but spotty at times - but it was good to gets the kids away from their cell phone.

Room Tip: Only the Family Suite has a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

THank you for your nice comments and taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We arrived when it was foggy and couldn't see much out our back window.. The room was big and nice and the up stairs lounge was large with a fridge for all to use.The dogs were friendly but wet so they were a bit smelly. We like dogs so it was okay. We walked around the veggie gardens and loved the fresh food we ate from there. The down fall was the owners had friends staying over and at night when we tried to watch TV in the lounge we couldn't hear because of the noise. The place is open and any noise downstairs comes up. Jim tried to keep it quiet but it didn't work. Sharing a bathroom wasn't the greatest either. Breakfast was fine and had a nice chat with Josee. We won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barb L
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My only regret is that we didn't have more time here! We stayed one night while driving through the area. Such a relaxing and enjoyable place.

Our room was comfortable and had a nice view from the walkout. The shared bathroom was very modern and nice.

We awoke to the smell of bacon - and were treated to a top notch breakfast with raspberries from their garden and eggs from their chickens (the eggs were phenomenal!) we also enjoyed good conversations with the hosts and other guests over breakfast.

Josee and Jim showed us the animals (chickens, donkey and alpacas) as well as their impressive gardens.

Great hosts, great views, great accommodations. Honestly you would be hard pressed to find somewhere better in all of Nova Scotia!!!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
serendipity6650, Owner at Red Roof Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

thank you for your nice words Ryan, we enjoyed having you and your family!

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I wasn't planning to spend more than 2 nights on my Nova Scotia trip in any one place. But the location and description, plus favourable reviews, just invited me to book 3 nights. I'm glad I did! Within minutes of arriving I could see that everything was just as good as on the website. Plus an added bonus - I got to see my first hummingbird at the front entrance. The hosts were very welcome, extremely generous in every way and it was a real pleasure to share their home, and to get to know their gorgeous pets (one of whom is an excellent tour guide. I kid not!) I stayed in the blue room and it was extremely comfortable. The balcony that enjoys sea breezes and the amazing sunsets that are so often bestowed on this location is a real bonus. To see a llama glowing in the moonlight one night was quite magical. The breakfasts were a real treat, home made, wholesome "proper" food. I can't even begin to convey how much I enjoyed staying here. The accommodation, atmosphere, hosts and location were all absolutely fabulous. I didn't post pics of the room because mine were not good enough and the ones on the site are very accurate!

Room Tip: I stayed in the blue room which was lovely but the one next to it looked equally lovely too.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
serendipity6650, Owner at Red Roof Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

thank you so much Julie, for your lovely review, we are happy that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay with us, hopefully you come back some day!