“Double date night”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

We met up with another couple we like to go out with for some Teppanyaki, something that was a change of pace. I really enjoyed it. The second you walk into Tokyo Garden you encounter a very beautiful koi pond. My step-daughters really got a kick out of the fish. Our chef was awesome! If you can request someone, ask for Ray, he was super sociable and good with all the kids we had, and was able to make special requests for one of the individuals in our party. I had the chicken and lobster and i loved it! Also get the plum wine, i can ever get enough of it! I enjoyed having dinner here and am coming here again!

There are newer reviews for tokyo garden

Reviewed 28 January 2015

This was the second time having dinner here. We were celebrating 2 family birthdays and seated at the Teppanyaki tables. The Teppanyaki chef was wonderful in his cooking and showman skills. He made our dinner experience memorable. The food was wonderful and very tasty. The wait service was very attentive and kept our drinks filled. The only thing that we were not pleased about was the crowd of diners. Our reservations were for 7 pm, but we weren't seated until 7:30 pm. The lobby was packed with wall to wall people. But then again, that should be expected on a Saturday night. We plan on going back again soon.

1  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The good- service was great, we made reservations and didn't wait, water was never empty for long ect.

The bad- prices are high (we had tempanyaki so i expect this) menu stated kids meal came with salad and soup, she was only served soup- menu stated our meal included ice cream (we were told we could buy fried ice cream for an additional $5). Umm no thanks.

So print new updated menus if you feel you can no longer offer what is stated, that way i don't tell my daughter she's getting something she's not.

My $14 vegetarian meal was a small miso soup, a small salad, about 2 cups of fried rice and maybe 3/4 a cup of vegetables. (Basically zucchini and carrots with an occasional mushroom) Soup and salad were good, vegetables were under cooked and had way too much soy on them. - cook probably could have done a better job if he hadn't had three saki bombs, but who knows.

Certainly didn't feel like i recieved value for my money, they basicly gave me a ton of rice (super cheap). Tofu would have been a good addition.

Won't be back. $120 for 4 people (one child, one beer each adult) and the experience food did't justify it. At least no one left hungry. Oh and since tip is automaticly added to the bill we choose not to add additional.

3  Thank luvalexislamb
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Went there for lunch and had both the Teppan and Sushi. This review is mixed. The Teppan was absolutely below average even for Bakersfield Standards. The fried rice was salty and the vegetables were few and overcooked. The sauces you get to dip your meat and vegetables were less tasty than at ShoGun.

The sushi was surprisingly OK, although a bit pricey. The atmosphere is about what you would expect at a Teppan house.

Overall and OK experience, although I don't think I will be back. There are better options for sushi and Teppan in Bakersfield.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

The rolls are very good. The wasabi is very fresh and tasty. We even got an order of Tako Sunomono which was excellent.