“Plenty to eat!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Our first trip to Bakersfield and wanted to try Basque food. Benji's was super. We had rack of lamb, it came with salad potatoes, beans and soup. The hot sauce was used on all! Everything was very tasty and plentiful. Servers was friendly and very helpful helping us order. Yum!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I was the recipient of an email thread a few months back raving about this place. So I had put it on my list of places to eat when we were in town (we live 60 miles away so it's not like we would just run over). well, yesterday was my wife's birthday so we went hiking near town and I made plans for a nice lunch. boy were we happy we came here. the waitresses were so nice and made sure that everything was just perfect. I had ordered the tongue as an appetizer and when it arrived cold in a cream sauce I was taken aback (as I enjoyed this delicacy as a kid and it was always served hot). The waitress told me that if it wasn't super declicious she would take it back. not to worry, it was delicious - put a couple of slices on a piece of bread - yum. since we were at a basque restaurant we wanted to order something basque - I had the basque sausage sandwich and my wife had the spaghetti (also with the basque sausage). both were outstanding. a little spicy, but that was cured with lots of cold water. for most folks it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm more of a bland foodie. My wife ordered soup, but the waitress brought over enough for 3 people - she was so nice she offered me a bowl (no extra charge). and the French fries had the skin on them, just how I like them. all I can say is that when we left we had to walk carefully as our stomachs were extremely full. we will definitely be returning to this fantastic restaurant. all that good food for less than $40. you can't beat that.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Our waitress was sweet, but It was not the traditional family style basque restaurant. They brought one thing at a time and you had to wait in between items. The salmon was way overcooked and was smothered in a sweet cream sauce. I sent it back. The cow tongue was served cold and drown in creamy Italian dressing. The french fries were soggy, room temperature and looked day old. Everything else was ok.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

This is the third Basque restaurant that I have visited in the Bakersfield area. This each with slightly different Basque offerings. I heard mixed reviews from friends and co-workers, it I was glad to finally try it for myself. I will definitely return. The staff was very friendly. The food and drink service was very prompt. The food was excellent. I selected the filet mignon and was not disappointed; however the wine sauce was a little much for me. It was good, but I think I would have rather had it plain. There was a second choice of sauce that I do not recall. Finally, I thought the location was convenient. Easy parking and easy access to Rosedale and Hwy 99 if required.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Went with my boyfriend for lunch, had the rack of lamb. It was great that sauce with the potatoes. Then the set up, soup, beans and salsa. Service was very good. I always enjoy myself, whether for lunch or dinner.