“Loved it!”

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast and I must say, it was really nice! It felt like a home away from home. My mom and I stayed in the yellow room, which was my favorite of the rooms. The bedding was white, the walls a soft yellow. Lots of light and air, very clean, with a beautiful view. Mary was very sweet and accommodating. Our first morning, she prepared a delicious breakfast with all sorts of yummy goodness on the table to choose from. I would definitely stay here again....even if it's just so I can try her infamous zucchini bread :)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sommer77

Reviewed 27 January 2011

My sister and I stayed as guests last year, enjoying the location above the Clairmont Hotel, with our window looking down the hill into San Francisco Bay, out to the Golden Gate Bridge. My daughter and I returned here in January. The house reminds me of my mother's home, alive now just in memory. Mary Harrow is a most warm and welcoming hostess and her other guests whom we would meet at breaksfast all were interesting. Mary seems to draw people who share values in an unspoken way. There is a peace and solidity of a more tranquil era in the house. I will come back whenever feasibile.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MElizabeth47
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I loved the view of the bay from the yellow room. Very comfortable bed and very QUIET. Within walking distance of restaurants and shops by College Avenue and Ashby. Breakfast was very fresh fruit and breads from the bakery down the street. Enjoyed meeting the other travellers. The personable aspect also appealed to me. Unlike the large hotels that feel so packaged, you could sit and have a conversation with people at breakfast. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Coreee
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We have stayed at Marys over the years and always enjoy the quiet location and beautiful neighborhood. Mary is very accomodating and a great host. The only negatives are the following: the home is in need of updating (bathrooms, paint), the breakfast is lacking substance (we found that several times we ate breakfast out). Also, we rented a car, but if someone didn't they wouldn't be close enough to public transportation, just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PA2010_10
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I chose Mary's based on the many positive Trip Advisor reviews. I don’t disagree with those reviews, but one thing that no one else has mentioned is that the doors to the guests' rooms do not lock--at all! There is not even a button lock or a chain lock. Mary, while very nice, did not seem to understand why this was a problem. When I stay in a hotel or bed and breakfast, I expect the door to have a deadbolt for my privacy, safety, and so I can store my belongings securely while I go out and explore the city. If I hadn't been staying with my husband, I would have had to leave and forfeit my $150 prepaid night because I wouldn't have felt safe sleeping in an unlocked room in an unfamiliar place by myself. Mary's is located in a safe neighborhood, but basic standards of decency still dictate that guests' doors should lock. I did not like having to choose between leaving my laptop, camera, etc. in an unlocked room during the day while I was gone or in my car in a parking garage in downtown Berkeley (not known for its safety). The non-locking door was also really not ideal considering that we were on our honeymoon. If the lack of a locking door does not bother you, Mary's has many good things going for it. It was almost dead quiet, our room (the pink room) was huge, the closet was large, everything was very clean and our bed was remade while we were out. The home is maybe 100 years old and has a lot of character. The only downsides to that were no screens on the windows (we had to kill two large spiders that crept in), there is no air conditioning (but there are plenty of windows and a large fan), and the bathroom sink was hard to use because the hot and cold water came out of two separate faucets and did not mix. Also, while there were plenty of pillows and the bedding was very soft, the bed itself was quite uncomfortable. The place is not within close walking distance of the Berkeley campus or downtown college joints (Google Maps said 40 minutes) so we had to drive into town and park in a garage, but it was a very short drive and even with parking fees we still saved a little bit of money over staying in town. We did not eat the breakfast so I can't comment on that. Overall, my husband and I felt that Mary's is a lovely place but with a major flaw (no locks) that would prevent us from going back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lorelai2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
1.7 km away
4.7 km away
Channing Guest House
Channing Guest House
#3 of 7 in Berkeley

Been to Mary's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!