Astorga's Mexican Grill
Ranked #45 of 61 Restaurants in Bishop
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Not from the area, tho used to frequent this place when it was tucked into the Rite Aid Shopping center as you headed north on 395. Family owned and run. Just back for a meal our way north this past weekend. Son seated us and served us. Great selection and food - as is usual. Best Chiliquilies on the planet. Perfect eggs, cheese, tortillas, fresh red tomatoes - Guac was out this world delish. Iced tea was good - fresh brewed. Salsa was hot. Always stop at this place - even easier to find in their newer location on 395 - putting in an outdoor patio under the huge trees. Definte stop each and every time.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

2 adults and 2 children were there on a Tuesday evening. Not very busy, which I now understand. Menu was basic, prices a bit high for a cafe-type establishment, service was marginal in terms of promptness/friendliness/checking back, but the quality (actually the lack of quality) of the food was the real downer. All four meals were way below any reasonable standard and that includes fast food restaurants. For example, the menu indicated a Carne Asada burrito included steak, beans, rice, tomatoes, cheese, etc. I requested no beans in mine, and what I got was tortilla, rice, specs (not pieces or chunks) of meat (tasteless), and that was it. My son's Cheese Quesadilla off the children's menu was basically a flour tortilla with so little cheese it might have been two tortilla's with just a little color in between. And then we were charged for an ala carte quesadilla at the regular price. The other two meals were marginally better but most of the food was left on the plate. Final kicker was the cost of this meal, with no ambiance, marginal service, poor quality of food, and the mistakes noted, was higher than the other restaurant we visited while in Bishop where everything (service, quality, ambiance, etc.) was the exact opposite (e.g., outstanding). Other reviewers gave this restaurant decent, even good reviews, so maybe the management/cook/server changed. Note: On a scale of 10 we're typically 8 or above when it comes to being reasonable about things that "just happen" so this was not a case of looking for a 5-star experience in a small town, neighborhood restaurant.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I admit, I live on the east coast where mexican food consists of hamburger and cheese in 88 different combinations fresh out of the microwave. I thought it was exceptional. I went rather late, and the place was almost empty, but I thought it was a nice size, and nicely decorated. The waitress was still enthusiastic. I had the burrito grande and a beer, and it was delicious. I received bad directions. Hard to imagine being unable to find something in Bishop. Its about a mile or 2 after you leave Bishop proper, on the left heading north. Well worth a stop.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I love the friendly staff at Astorga's, and the food was just as tasty as last time. The service was speedy, and my chicken enchilada was very good. The prices are quite reasonable as well. This is not your fancy Mexican restaurant, but it's a nice choice in this little town.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Went there because of the good reviews. My husband's Chile verde was ok. But my fish tacos were lacking the most important ingredient: fish!! Just a few little pieces and lots of cabbage slaw. Not at all what I expected for $ 15. The cheapest glass of wine $ 7. I can't really recommend this place.

Been to Astorga's Mexican Grill? Share your experiences!