“Great place for breakfast and lunch”
Review of Sunrise Cafe

Sunrise Cafe
Ranked #16 of 258 Restaurants in Buena Park
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Just an overall great place to eat. The atmosphere is acceptable but the only reason to come here is the great food.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We at around noon on a Saturday. It's kinda tucked away in a corner of a shopping strip. It looks crazy small when walking up, but it's quite large. Around 18-20 booths and tables.

It was only about half full. We were seated immediately. We ordered coffee. They have flavored creamer. Frence Vanilla (My favourite) and Hazelnut. (Hubbys favorite). My husband asked for a new cup. His had lipstick on it. No apologies. Just said oh ok, and brought a new one. I wiped my cup and utensils after that.

The staff was nice. Not really friendly, but nice. Very attentive. Filled our coffee as we finished, every time. Food took a bit to come out, but I noticed a lot of food coming out to other tables, and we might have all gotten there around the same time. However, our food wasn't hot when brought to us. More of a luke warm.

I ordered the chicken fried steak. The gravy is very bland, and floury. I had to add a lot of pepper. The steak was OK. It came with hash browns, that were good, but very bland. Also, 2 eggs, (I ordered over medium) they came out perfect. And toast with a TINY jelly. lol.

My husband got the Popeye omlet. It had spinach, mushroom, bacon and cheese in it. He liked it a lot. He also got hash browns with it, and biscuits with gravy. Same gravy as the chicken fried steak. He did not care for the gravy, and didn't eat more than a bite or two.

The portions were pretty large. Two people could easily share a meal. For ours, it was 28 bucks before tip. It was good. But not Great. I had hoped for a bit better. We MAY try it again someday.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Picked this place because of trip advisor reviews. Don't let the fact that it's located in a tiny strip mall deter you. It is small, but staff is very friendly, food is good & it's reasonably priced! Only open for breakfast & lunch. My friend & I were there for 3 hrs & place was busy for most of that time. I meant to take pics of outside of building, but got caught up on the phone.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stumbled across Sunrise Cafe while on a trip. Talk about a great place! We went for breakfast and the food was outstanding. My omelet had fresh spinach, and my sister was sure her chile had been "home-smoked." The biscuit was easily the best biscuit I've ever had. To top if off, the service was amazing! I can't recommend this place highly enough!

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

The Sunrise Cafe is your average US breakfast joint. Reasonable fare at a reasonable price. My daughter enjoyed the pancakes. I ordered the special home fries with avocado, no cheese and two poached eggs on the side. The home fries were fine, but nothing to write home about, as were the eggs, the sliced quarter of avocado was tinged with grey. Coffee was fine, but half and half came in those little plastic servings and the tea selection was average. The service was good and friendly, but nothing special. The price; average.
The previous day we had breakfast in the Cerritos Sheraton, where we were staying, but then I wanted to give my daughter that 'authentic American breakfast'. A quick look on TripAdvisor and, judging by the 24 reviews, the Sunrise Cafe was the place to go. However, I was disappointed. Not because the Sunrise was bad, but because it wasn't nearly as good as the reviews. If I worked next door, then I recommend it for breakfast. But if your on vacation staying at the Sheraton and you want the most delicious home fries ever, then don't believe everything on TripAdvisor.
Come on TripAdvisors, don't oversell your last meal because you'll only disappoint. The Sunrise is fine, just not as good as your reviews had led me to believe!