All reviews santa cruz mini suite waffles cookies movie theater hard boiled eggs great place to stay pool and hot tub breakfast sandwich pleasure point within walking distance very friendly and helpful staff front desk staff clean rooms home away from home breakfast room stayed nights
Reviewed 8 September 2018

super noisy, lousy AC, embarrassingly horrible food, and worst of all, THE worst hospitality ever. the front desk is so not helpful and rude to me trying to get a receipt when calling in for my expense reports. never again

Room tip: dont stay here
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Kent B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear Mark D.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us. We sincerely apologize that you had a an unsatisfactory breakfast experience and a less than satisfactory interaction with our Front Desk staff. We will continue to offer more than fifty breakfast items and work to improve the hot food options. We are working to update our property and guest rooms and we look forward to guests experiencing these updates and having a pleasant stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the level of guest service you received from our front desk staff and your comments have been shared. I hope you will give us another chance to offer authentic Best Western hospitality when you return to the area.

Reviewed 30 August 2018

I am on the road for business, and I always look forward to going to Capitola so I can stay at the Best Western Plus on 41st Ave. It's very clean, the staff is warm and welcoming as well as professional, they do have a gym, It's only a block from a Whole foods, if you want to eat in your room. It's walking g distance from all sorts of stores, restaurants, and the beach, and it's only a 3 minute drive to the village where more shopping, restaurants, and beach await. And, so important to me, the beds are comfortable, so I sleep well.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Suzanne B
Kent B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review of Best Western Plus Capitola. We are thrilled you have your home away from home in Capitola where you always feel welcome and well treated. From our hotel family, we thank you for being such a wonderful guest and a true joy to talk with when you visit. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Welcome to California suburbia. Experience our typical lifestyle by staying in this motel near gas stations and strip malls. Oh, that's not why you're visiting Capitola? You want to stay in a charming place near the beach with ocean views — that puts you right in the middle of the enchanting, fairy-tale scene you saw in the guidebook? Well, this is not it. (Instead, stay in Santa Cruz and drive over to the Capitola village area and spend an afternoon walking around. It seems that there's only one hotel in the part of Capitola that really is by the sea. But in Santa Cruz, at the time of our visit, late August, there were tons of seaview lodgings of all kinds with "vacancy" signs posted — everything from tiny cottages to condos, standard motels to larger, more upscale chains.) But I digress; back to the Best Western. Not a bargain. We paid over $200 a night for a standard room with a king bed. The decor is plain and simple motel-room beige, the linens are newish, and everything is clean. I mean clean. You can't walk to the elevator or lobby without passing a huge "housekeeping" room with giant washers spinning away and carts of cleaning supplies lined up in the hallway. The whole property smells faintly of disinfectant. There is a small exercise room. The pool looks okay, but it's been too chilly out to think about swimming. The breakfast is adequate, with the usual cereals, rolls, yogurt, fruit. This one does offer eggs, potatoes, sausages (not very good versions, I'm afraid) and a make-your-own waffle bar. Nice freshly-backed cookies upon arrival. Plenty of free parking in the back. There's a Lucky supermarket next door and a Whole Foods across and down the street where you can pick up something for your beach picnic that's much healthier than what they sell on the boardwalk.

Date of stay: August 2018
Kent B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear Ellen S.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for selecting our hotel when staying in the area. We strive to make your experience the best possible and we apologize that we have failed to meet your expectations with regard to location and breakfast. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we work to improve our on-property experience here in Capitola. We hope you will give us another try so we may demonstrate our commitment.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. First impression friendly staff, easy checkin, plenty of parking, hotel room very clean, and prices reasonable. Close to everything, about a 5 min drive. The cookies in the lobby were delicious. Beds were comfortable, hot tub/pool area clean and the hot tub felt amazing after a day of bike riding. Gave 4 stars due to Continental breakfast, although it had many items the hot ones(eggs, potatoes, and sausage) were barely Luke warm in there heating pans. We were there only 15 minutes after it opened on day 1, so not sure why food was barely warm and we had to microwave it. Day 2 we were there later and same thing, although it tasted good even with microwaving. The other reason for the 4 stars was first night very quiet, but the second night the person in the room next to us got on the phone about 630 am and you could hear him very easily talking for about 45 minutes. Not sure if it has anything to do with our rooms were ajoining. He was quiet throughout the night and we slept well but it makes me think if I can hear him just talking on the phone, what if you did have a rowdy person next door or a family with rowdy kids. Just something to think about. All in all I would definately stay here again. My husband and I enjoyed our stay here.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Dena B.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive experiences you had with our friendly staff, ease of parking and cleanliness. We would like to apologize for the noise issues that you encountered during your stay with us and the temperature of our hot eggs, potatoes and breakfast meats. When you come to a hotel you're expecting to get a great night's sleep and unfortunately we were not able to provide you with that. Again, I thank you for your review and we'll be sure to keep your comments in mind as we make future improvements to our hotel. We would love to have you back to give our hotel a second chance the next time you return to the beautiful Capitola area.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2018

Much to my horror I realized I accidently gave my favorite hotel in the Santa Cruz/Capitola area a bad review by not clicking the stars correctly. My family and I have been coming here for 15 years and have always been welcomed back and treated like part of their family. I love Blake and when I check in he often says "welcome home". The entire staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Great rooms, awesome breakfast and caring staff.

Date of stay: August 2018
Kent B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Dear Nancy,

On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for being part of our guest family and we look forward to seeing you again very soon. We all appreciate you and your family and for clearing up the previous rating oversight.

All the best,