1,390 results
All reviewsprivate entrance to legolandself parking feehotel restaurantvisiting legolandlego landprivate accesslarge poolping pongunderground parkingnice propertyearly checkocean viewoutlet mallhotel guestsmy songreat for familiesfitness center
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This hotel met every expectation and then some. We had been to Legoland a few years ago and had stayed somewhere else. On this trip we decided to stay at this property because of its proximity to Legoland. For starters the hotel has its OWN entrance to the park!!! Second, since SPG has rebranded Sheraton many of its properties some are now on par with the Westin brand and this is one of them! We had dinner at 20)Twenty and it was very good. Live Jazz and many kids options! Our server was GREAT as well.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Carlsbad, I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We strive to be the leader in hospitality and have an amazing staff. Thank you for being loyal SPG member. We hope to see you and the family again soon.
Cheers,

Megan Conner

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Lots of previous stays which were lovely. Not this time...

Front desk staff far less than accomodating to me as Starwood Elite owner. Had to beg for traditional upgrades. Check in clerk was dishonest and said an event would be taking place outside our window the following morning at 8-9am. At 10:30am check out, still no event...

Initial keys we were issued did not work and required a return to the lobby for replacements.

Third floor smelled worse than male locker room. Housekeeping thought it was "OK, no?"

Ocean 'view' was of queen palm fronds approximately 20 feet in front of the window which completely blocked any further view.

Tried to retrieve messages on room phone. Using both lines, pressing voicemail resulted in dead silence. Phone instructions were to call 8+0+0 for front desk. I did that and it rang incessantly and nobody answered. I resorted to calling the front desk on my cell phone. Was still never able to retrieve messages. Front desk attendant had no clue that 8+0+0 was what the phone instructed guests to call to reach the front desk!

Movie selections less than ideal for Legoland crowd. We desperately wanted to watch a Star Wars movie (new exhibit at Legoland) and there was no Star Wars anything available.

After asking, a valet gave us a ride to the bottom of the Sheraton parking lot-closer to Legoland entrance. (It's a much longer walk from the Sheraton to Legoland than from Legoland parking lot.) However, when the park closed and many of us were walking back up the hill, nobody from the valet service came back for the many guests (some with disabilities) hiking up the hill back to the hotel.

Since the boys woke me at 5:53am, I requested late check-out to return for brief nap before check out. As SPG Elite owner, I'm entitled to late check out, but I was denied! Then instead of 2pm as requested, they allowed one hour until noon. (Not at all helpful since Legoland doesn't open until 10am...)

Tried to leave self parking lot and return to lobby for check-out and roads for the event to take place hours later were already blocked. My son had to move cones, and I had to plead to get through barricades to get back to the lobby... as a paying guest! By the time I arrived at the lobby I was seething... My hotel stay was comped (not the delicious food), but I assured the acting manager that I would write this review anyway.

It's NOT WORTH the money or frustration any longer...

The Twenty20 restaurant on the other hand was worth every penny. The service was what one would expect of a hotel of this stature and it had selection, presentation and a deliciousness that will not be forgotten:-)

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel overlooks power lines and the front side 3rd floor looks at palm fronds. The ocean side second floor may have a better view... Anywhere in hotel is about equally close to Legoland as it's a long walk anyway...
3  Thank TJ H

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is my understanding that you have been in contact with our General Manager and your issues have been addressed. I hope that we have an opportunity in the future to show you the Sheraton Hospitality.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed at this resort for 4 days and was very pleased with everything from the friendly staff to the clean rooms. The kids loved the outdoor pool and amenities such as a pool tables and foosball. The rooms were very clean and the grounds were immaculate. A complimentary breakfast was suitable with fresh fruit, cereal, oatmeal, eggs, coffee etc. There were also drinks and snacks available at night but I never made it so I don't know how they were. The location is great with outlet shopping a 5min drive away and a private entrance to LegoLand.

I would go back again but I would try and book direct instead of going through a third party. I booked my room back in April for a stay in August using my points. Everything was confirmed until 2 weeks before my arrival when I called to extend my stay. Suddenly the hotel said that they could not honour my reservation as it was booked through points and that the third party did not clear it with them. After going back and forth between the third party and the hotel several times I eventually got it sorted out but it took several hours and was very annoying.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments, I have passed along your frustrations to our reservations team and are working on a solution. Overall I am please to here that your stay was pleasant. We look forward to having the family back again.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I have platinum status and own several SVO properties and shares of SPG stock. We travel for pleasure only and bring along our now 21 month old daughter. We decided on Monday to take a quick trip to Legoland for Brick or Treat on Friday to enjoy some family time after a stressful week (my wife is a teacher and just had parent teacher conferences). Now let’s fast forward to the day of our arrival. I had called down the morning of our arrival to verify that our room would be ready around 4pm and to confirm Legolands hours. I was told no problem on the room and Legoland closes at 8pm.

We departed our home at 3:00 and arrived at 4:30 we were greeted at the door by a valet who told me “take your time’, which was a strange greeting but a greeting. During check in I asked the clerk to confirm that Legoland was open until 8 as I was told earlier and he verified with the other clerk and told me I was correct. I then asked about their Club Lounge and its hours. I was then informed that the club lounge has been permanently closed. I asked why and was told that the Club Lounge was getting too many complaints about it being small and having a poor selection so they decided to close it rather than make the changes and have to listen to the complaints. I was shocked to hear that! Why wouldn’t you listen to your customers and make changes to make their stays/experience better? I then asked about the parking charge was going to be waived as I am a Legoland Annual pass holder and was told that was no longer a perk to Legoland pass holders. Now frustrated I have to spend extra money on parking, afternoon snacks/beverages and breakfast (we didn’t pack breakfast for our family as the offerings of the Club Lounges are sufficient) I get my key and go back to the car to park and head to our room.

We drive to the underground parking beneath our room/building and park. I look around for a cart to help bring my bags up, but there is nothing of the sort. To get to the elevators we have to pass the laundry room, mechanical room and walk down a long hall way to the elevator. We get into the elevator and got to floor two. Getting out on floor two we can smell what can only be described as bad body odor and then find our room and enter. I then have to make 2 more trips down to get the rest of our bags while my wife attends to our daughter and unpacks. Our room (1201) is nice as we have been upgraded to a suite due to our status. It is now a little after 5 and we are anxious to head down to Legoland to let our daughter play and get something to eat. We then pack up the stroller and start the ½ mile walk to the private entrance. Upon arrival to the gate we are informed that the park closed at 5:00. What?!? How can this be? I was told by 3 different people that it is open until 8pm. Disappointed we walk another ½ mile back to the hotel and go back to our room and try to decide where to go for dinner. We settled on a short drive to the outlets. We get back and call it a night around 9pm to get a good night sleep.

We all woke up around 9 am on Saturday morning after a poor night of sleep (our suite was next to the elevators and it was relatively noisy) and we were planning on having breakfast at Twenty / 20 and then maybe a quick swim before my daughters daily nap which is normally around 11:30 daily. I called downstairs and requested a 4 pm checkout as it is a perk of being a Platinum member (based on occupancy) and was told that was not possible. I asked why and asked if we could compromise and have until 1pm so my daughter could get her nap in. Again I was shot down and informed that they are at 100% occupancy for the evening and because of the special event. I was then informed that the MS Bikeathon was having an event there from 10am – 6pm. I then asked to speak with a manager and talked to him about my above experience and that my daughter takes her daily nap from 11:30ish to 1:00 and that if we have to check out at 11 am it would ruin our day at Legoland as she would not be able to take a nap. The Manager/ Head of Security said it sounds like there was poor communication on the part of the hotel and that he would make an exception and allow us to stay until noon. I again asked if we could at least have until 1pm as it would still allow them a 3 hour timeframe before their 4pm check-in and was told that is not possible. I said ok and we ended our conversation.

Frustrated and disappointed we packed up our belongings and decided to check out and when down and went to have breakfast at Twenty / 20. The highlight of our trip was the nice young lady who waited on us. Aside from that the food being mediocre at best (someone needs to teach the chef to poach an egg for eggs benedict) the service was good and she was very nice and helpful and brought our daughters food out right away. After breakfast we got into our car and drove over to Legoland and parked in their lot for our visit. As anticipated our daughter was not able to fall asleep and was overly tired and as a result we ended up leaving Legoland and driving home at 1:30.

The net net is that we left very disappointed in our stay and will decided we would not be going back to the Sheraton Carlsbad ever again (mind you this was our 5th stay with each being worse than the last). It is very apparent they are not interested in their guests experience or voices and only care about their bottom line.

Lastly, if you are going to have a large function like the MS Bikeathon at your property you should let your guests know in advance through reservations or via e-mail that Special Conditions Apply to that day so they can make the determination of whether or not they want to stay there. Had I known it was there and I would have to be woken up by people setting up banquet tables beneath my rooms and I would have to leave early I would have not booked a room for Friday. I would have saved my $200 and drove down in the morning while my daughter napped in the back and been able to enjoy a whole day at Legoland with my family rather than a couple of hours.

Room Tip: 3rd floor away from the elevators. The walls are thin and if on 1 or 2 you can hear the people above you walking around.
2  Thank greggfi626
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We planned a wedding with the Sheraton in a month. We were in a bind and needed help. The staff at the Sheraton were very accommodating in the whole process. Nicole and Moe are great. They went above and beyond to make our special day a day we'd never forget. Thank you Sheraton Carlsbad.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the rooms facing to the west are amazing.