“Romantic boutique hotel”
Review of L'Auberge Carmel

L'Auberge Carmel
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 30 March 2017

When standing in the courtyard, you might think that you were in the south of France. Staff is extremely friendly and seemed to go out of their way to make sure that our every need was fulfilled. There is a $30/day fee to cover all tips, valet parking and incidentals. This was great, as I didn't feel that I was always reaching for my billfold. The breakfast is included, but is a bit limited. There is an additional ala carte breakfast menu, but plan on fruit, pastry and any style eggs for the inclusive meal. Location is great as you are a block off of Ocean Ave, so it's plenty close, but just far away enough that there is no ambient noise. It's also a quick 4 block walk to the beach. We did not have dinner on property, but the chef's tasting experience look fabulous. Rooms are appropriately appointed. Windows needed to be open or our room got rather stuffy. Bed, linens and pillows were comfortable and the ambient heat on the bathroom tiles was a bonus.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 March 2017

I am an elderly woman who travels extensively, frequently alone.I arrived Sunday afternoon for a two day stay. L'Auberge proved to be a delightful little gem. From the old world charm of the property to the wonderfully warm and helpful staff. In fact, my stay was so enjoyable I elected to stay an additional two days. I would like to have given L'Auberge a rating of five, were it not for the humiliation I suffered at the hands of one employee. On Thursday morning I was outside enjoying the morning air and the parade of doggies,when I first encountered this young lady. By her attire, I assumed she was a hotel employee, and I smiled, nodded in her direction and said good morning. This was met with a haughty flip of her nose skyward and the back of her head as she breezed past me. I thought she must be quite accomplished indeed to have achieved such superiority at such a young age. Thirty minutes later, I arrived at the dining room for breakfast and for the first time during my stay was not welcomed by the host. I thought this odd but concluded they were running late and seated myself. And waited. After several minutes two other guests arrived and were promptly welcomed and seated by the hostess. She explained their menu options and brought them their beverages. The hostess by the way, was the same haughty young lady from earlier. When I finally got her attention and she came to my table, instead of explaining my options etc.,she snatched my menu away and informed me (within earshot of other guests) that these tables are for guests only. While taken aback, I again smiled, acknowledged the rule and told her my choices. Again for others to hear, she demanded both my name and the name of the room registration. She was implying I guess that a person of my low status could not be a guest here. By this time the other guests were noticeably uncomfortable and glaring at me. I quietly gave my name and again she turned her back on me ( she is quite good at this form of snub) and left the dining area. She returned moments later looking rather sheepish, spoke with the wait staff and I finally received my order. While the meal was delicious and the wait staff wonderful, I was already humiliated and being stared at by other diners. At no time did this young women offer an apology for the misunderstanding or even the common courtesies she afforded other guests. I finished what I could of what was a very uncomfortable meal. Upon leaving, I wasn't wished an enjoyable stay as on other days, but was again presented with the back of her head. Frankly, I was hurt and humiliated and couldn't wait to check out. I believe that young lady(?) needs a serious lesson in discretion. She should also be informed that there are thousands of us out here who although having attained a certain level of affluence, do not wish to broadcast the same. It is a safety issue. Small elderly women traveling alone and appearing affluent are frequent targets. I don't enjoy being punched and losing my handbag any more than being abused by a snooty young hotel employee. I most likely not be back.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
12  Thank barbara s
Reviewed 15 March 2017

From the moment we arrived to when we departed a day later, we were treated like royalty. This hotel and it's staff goes above and beyond your expectations to ensure you have an exceptional stay. It's the only way to describe the experience. Nice small touches- like a handwritten card to wish me a happy birthday, fresh baked cookies and a staff that takes the time to help show you the local area, make recommendations on where to eat and visit, all with a smile. Breakfast is included- at least in our rate. Also, the hotel takes care of moving your vehicle (as there is no onsite parking), so you have nothing to worry about. Also, all gratuity is included in the rate you pay per night. LOVE THAT.

The room has character and is beautiful. The bed is so comfortable and inviting. They also have laundry service onsite.

The location is close to everything. Walking distance to the beach, close to shops, wine tasting rooms and the central part of the city.

We loved our stay here and cannot WAIT to go back to this hotel. We did not want to leave.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina S
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Overall a very poor experience with multiple service failures from the arrival experience and throughout the stay - from arrival and check-in, to having us in the wrong room, to leaving my car unlocked by the valet, to not having a thick duvet available during the day while ours was washed to no one to help with bags at check-in and check-out. We shared them with the staff. There were some good points- breakfast staff and food quality. Not enough good things and too many service problems and of a severity at this price point that one would think the general manager would have engaged during our stay, but he did not. I contacted the hotel general manager by email after my stay, sharing the multiple problems in detail and why I am not planning a return visit. Over 3 weeks later and no reply at all. Anything he posts below should be viewed in light of the experience to begin with much less any response.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swg126
auberge_carmel_ca, General Manager at L'Auberge Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Dear swg126,

Thank you for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I am sorry that your stay with us was not to your expectations. All around we regret that your experience was not the L'Auberge Carmel experience that you had hoped for.

If you would still like to speak, please call at your earliest convenience at 831.624.8578 x3301.

Kind regards,
George Nagata

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Love this quaint hotel. It is incredibly charming and staff treats you like royalty. It is right downtown Carmel near all the art galleries, shopping, Restaraunt, and wine tasting rooms. The beach is just a block or two down the road and it is a dog friendly beach. The hotel is dog friendly and this is the first time we brought or dog. The hotel is spotless and you would never guess they allow dogs there, no hair, stains, or dog smell at all. Breakfast is included and so yummy. Valet parking and internet is included. This was our second stay and it was as wonderful as our first. We are already looking forward to coming back again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy D

Dear Cindy D,

Thank you for staying with us again at L'Auberge Carmel! I am thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us once again! We sure hope that on your visit back to Carmel by the Sea, that we have the opportunity to welcome you for a third time!

Kind regards,