“Mom n Pop, Comfort asian food”
Review of Geko-Tei

Geko-Tei
Ranked #62 of 185 Restaurants in Cerritos
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Located behind Sit n Sleep, caddy corner to the Cerritos Mall, is t his little restaurant. At best, it can hold 30 people, and that's including the counter seating. To the reviewer who complained he was asked to sit at the counter, I have to side with the restaurant. The place is tiny as it is, and a single diner could be flexible and eat at the counter. Just saying...

We came on a Monday night and by 6:30 it filled up. My friend and I each ordered a main dish, and chose 1 cold and 1 hot appetizer as starters to share.

For the cold dish we had the boiled spinach with the bonito flavored soy sauce, and for the hot dish, the roasted pork. Mmmm the pork was so good! Melted in our mouth! I bet it would be even better in the ramen or over rice.

My main dish was the Kinki, the charcoal grilled rockfish, and I added the combo of rice, soup and salad for $2 more. The fish was like butter, also very good, even though there were bones in it. I was warned about the bones, so no deductions there.

Roger had the tonkatsu combo, and he seemed to have enjoyed it, as his plate was clean.

Their iced tea was the barley tea, which for some people can be different than a traditional black tea, and some may find it bitter. It went very well with our meal, and we ended it with a vanilla and green tea mochi, which we didn't really care for. The mochi was a bit chewy, but not in the way a mochi should be.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I often dine alone. I do not like it when there are several empty tables and the hostess insists on seating you at the counter. The counter was being used as a busboy station, and the counter was cluttered with dishes and bowls. I asked to sit at a table, but the hostess was not listening.
I know the food is good, so I ate at the counter. Something like this has happened before. After I was seated at a table, the host asked me to sit at the counter because a larger group arrived and he wanted to use my table. I told him no.
When will they learn? In Southern California, you cannot ask the customer to be uncomfortable, because you want to maximize you profit potential.

1  Thank Masatsuki
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I love this place! The food is delicious and the service is outstanding. It seems like the vast majority of customers are Japanese, and for good reason. This is REAL Japanese home-style cooking. One of my absolute favorite restaurants.

1  Thank 664eds
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have gone here many times. For both lunch and dinner. Tendon, katsudon and hambahgah steak. Very good! The best Japanese restaurant in the (562) area.

1  Thank Iijanai
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Based on a few visits, this place gets praise for food, location, and service. Located across the street from the mall in an unnoticeable parking lot, this authentic Japanese restaurant can get overlooked. But look again, and you'll be surprised how many people are seated in this small restaurant, so word must be out on the newcomer. If a busy night, sign-in at the door and be prepared to wait. Seating tailored for small groups or couples with a few seats at the counter.

Menu has something for everyone....grilled or fried entrees, don or ramen bowls, fresh sashimi or Japanese appetizers, they have it all. Lunch menu includes rice, soup and salad with main entree, for dinner add $2. Not large portions, but enough to satisfy and nicely presented!

Observation: busier with each visit, friendly service, closed on Sundays. Conclusion: A good meal will put a smile on your face!

3  Thank Shimadog

Been to Geko-Tei? Share your experiences!