“Izakaya in Cerritos”

Geko-Tei
Ranked #61 of 181 Restaurants in Cerritos
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 28 June 2016

This is probably the closest thing we have to a Japanese izakaya, or informal gastropub, right here in Cerritos. They offer not just ramen but a whole host of small dishes that you would expect at an izakaya, such as grilled chicken wings, shishito peppers, etc. No wonder you see a lot of real Japanese diners there all the time. Very authentic Japanese cuisine.

Reviewed 23 September 2014

We went to Geko-Tei twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times food was good, but the portions are so small. Even my 8 year old son didn't get enough to eat. Mind you we're not big eaters but we left Geko-Tei still hungry. They need to increase the portions. If you are really hungry, don't here unless you want to get 2 entrees to satisfy you.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Although there are a few choices in the area for Japanese, Geko-Tei is definitely one of the better choices. One of the give aways is there are actual Japanese folks eating (and working) there, which is always a good sign. I love their tonkatsu. The quality of the meat is excellent and they give good portions. We've had other things there as well, but the tonkatsu is what really has me always coming back. We've been to other places that focus on tonkatsu and you can really, really tell the difference.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Located behind Sit n Sleep, caddy corner to the Cerritos Mall, is t his little restaurant. At best, it can hold 30 people, and that's including the counter seating. To the reviewer who complained he was asked to sit at the counter, I have to side with the restaurant. The place is tiny as it is, and a single diner could be flexible and eat at the counter. Just saying...

We came on a Monday night and by 6:30 it filled up. My friend and I each ordered a main dish, and chose 1 cold and 1 hot appetizer as starters to share.

For the cold dish we had the boiled spinach with the bonito flavored soy sauce, and for the hot dish, the roasted pork. Mmmm the pork was so good! Melted in our mouth! I bet it would be even better in the ramen or over rice.

My main dish was the Kinki, the charcoal grilled rockfish, and I added the combo of rice, soup and salad for $2 more. The fish was like butter, also very good, even though there were bones in it. I was warned about the bones, so no deductions there.

Roger had the tonkatsu combo, and he seemed to have enjoyed it, as his plate was clean.

Their iced tea was the barley tea, which for some people can be different than a traditional black tea, and some may find it bitter. It went very well with our meal, and we ended it with a vanilla and green tea mochi, which we didn't really care for. The mochi was a bit chewy, but not in the way a mochi should be.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I often dine alone. I do not like it when there are several empty tables and the hostess insists on seating you at the counter. The counter was being used as a busboy station, and the counter was cluttered with dishes and bowls. I asked to sit at a table, but the hostess was not listening.
I know the food is good, so I ate at the counter. Something like this has happened before. After I was seated at a table, the host asked me to sit at the counter because a larger group arrived and he wanted to use my table. I told him no.
When will they learn? In Southern California, you cannot ask the customer to be uncomfortable, because you want to maximize you profit potential.