“Good food”

Chiriaco Summit Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped because of the General Patton Museum. Food was good, but don't miss the story of the Chiriacos and their story in the desert.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

We decided to stop here as we were tired of drinking gas station coffee. It is located at the same exit as the General Patton Museum. We got coffee, pecan bread and banana bread. It was a nice restful stop.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

Chiriaco Summit has been in business in some form or another for 80 years. Gas station, Fosters Freeze, cafe, General Patton museum. Good stopping place if you can't wait for Blythe going east or Indio going west. I had a chiriaco burger for 9.95 (bacon cheeseburger). Nothing special but not bad. My wife has a salad for 10.95 and was disappointed. Expensive for what you get.
Quick, friendly service. Don't pass it up if you need gas, food or an army tank but don't expect too much.

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Nice little cafe that was much needed here. Service was good,food was good ,meal was served time8.What else could you ask for.I have gone back several times and have not been disappointed. On the road ? Then try tjis cafe.

Reviewed 8 April 2017

Well, the prices aren’t bad…

After taking the grand tour of Joshua Tree National Park, my bride and I were ready for a late lunch. Since Chiriaco Summit is close to the south entrance to the park, we headed there instead of heading down to Indio. Especially since the car’s gas gauge was edging toward the “E” mark. Thinking of something more substantial than the Fosters Freeze at the Chevron station, the only show in town is the coffee shop. Well, the place also has a cute gift shop inside, is kind of nice in its own way, and there are a half-dozen tables outside for alfresco diners with three substantial steel gazebos to keep the sun off your noggin. BTW, the weather was quite pleasant, so don’t assume that it is always hot in the desert.

Glancing at the menu, we saw several different varieties of burgers and sandwiches, but went to the meals on the next page. Most are $12.95. Meat loaf? Chicken-fried steak? I thought I’d try the fish and chips, while the gf got the former. They came with a choice of soup or a salad, and it’s easy to mess up soup, so I got a salad. So far so good.

Before I was half done, our orders came out. Well, I would like to tell you it was delicious. It was barely OK. Was it microwaved? I don’t know. The fries were pretty standard. The fish was not bad, bit not memorable either. There was a small bowl of vegetables – carrot slices, bits of squash. Pretty tasteless, and like it came out of a can. My wife said her steak seemed like it was pre-breaded and merely warmed up; the potatoes seemed like instant mashed and she only ate a bite or two of the vegetables and then gave up on those.

It was filling, at least. I won’t complain that it was inedible and the portions were too small, or anything like that. If you’re on a long trip down Interstate 10 and you’re famished, this place will give you the needed calories at least. But gourmet food it is not.

Been to Chiriaco Summit Cafe? Share your experiences!