“Haitian Vacation”

Caribbean Pleasures
Ranked #298 of 466 Restaurants in Chula Vista
Cuisines: Asian, Caribbean
Reviewed 6 November 2014

A great pleasure while traveling is to enjoy the cuisine connected to the place you are visiting. I especially love discovering spots where the locals themselves eat - not just the trendy tourist traps.

Even better yet is an invitation from a local to enjoy a home cooked meal in their own residence. Well I didn't have to travel far (just to Bonita) to have an experience just like that at Caribbean Pleasures! It was as if I had arrived 3000 miles away in Haiti and got such an invite from some new friends.

I was greeted so warmly and really enjoyed the vibe including the rhythmic beat of Haitian music playing at just the right volume. Although I have always loved Caribbean food, I have never specifically sampled the cuisine of Haiti - and I was in for a wonderful surprise. Every single item on my (multiple) plates was a culinary adventure and winner! Absolutely loved the spicy pumpkin soup, coleslaw with the spiciest kick I've ever had, beans and rice - and perhaps the best, Jerk Chicken. I am a huge fan of the Jamaican version (I had it 4-5 times each day during my visit to Montego Bay!) and there are several fine restaurants where you can find it in San Diego. However, this was different. Not quite as spicy but every bit as savory and delicious in a real unique way. I chased this all down with Haitian coffee which was one of the best ever - kind of like a cross between coffee and Mexican hot chocolate!

The service was outstanding. As I alluded to above, our server and the owner (as well as the presentation and quality of the food) made me feel like I was a guest in their home - not a patron of a restaurant. In fact I can't remember another time where I've left a place with hugs and such a smile on my face (and full stomach)!

Merci Beaucoup Caribbean Pleasures...I'll be back soon!

1  Thank Dan G
Reviewed 2 November 2012

When we walked in, we saw one person working in the kitchen. We sat down and after a minute he came out, talking on the cell phone and asked us what we wanted. There were six choices and he didn't seem to know anything about any of them. We ordered, and as he was walking back to the kitchen, he took the menu with him, maybe so he could read it and figure out what he was supposed to cook. This was a red flag for us, so we left. While we were sitting there, I noticed the floors were pretty dirty and it had been quite some time since the area under the front counter had been swept. No need to go back there.

1  Thank KPR18