“Best cheeses anywhere”

Cheese Cave
Ranked #6 of 141 Restaurants in Claremont
Cuisines: International
Reviewed 24 July 2017

So was in there AGAIN to get great cheese and other nice snacks... may be the most knowledgeable staff and super friendly as well...... love coming here!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Small, dark, dank place with no cheese samples to see what you might want. Counter service is good though and there is a variety of other foods, jerky, etc.

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

My DD and I are here in Claremont on a college visit. We had read about the Cheese Cave prior to our trip and were determined to make it one of our meals. We had originally planned to have some cheese, bread and for me, wine, for lunch. Unfortunately by the time we made our way to Claremont, it was close to 5pm. But since cheese is one of our greatest loves, we decided to make it a cheese and bread dinner.

The staff at the store were super friendly and helpful. We told them that we were looking to have dinner. When asked, I told them I was looking to have 3 different cheeses and a meat for dinner. We sampled half a dozen cheeses based on what we told the nice young man we'd like and finally settled on the following:

Epoisses Coupe: pungent, slightly funky, very soft Center with in edible soft rind, creamy and salty. Soft cheese perfect to spread in bread.

Reblochon Douceur du Jura: slightly nutty. Creamy but not as soft as the Epolsses Coupe. Milder in taste but had a stronger scent. Delicious on its own or on a cracker.

Bishop's Peak: hard cheese with hard rind. Nutty yet creamy. Mildest of the 3 cheeses. I liked this on its own.

Framani Salame Toscano: one of the tastiest Salame I've ever had. Just the perfect saltiness. It also didn't have that gaminess that some Salame have. It was perfect.

Since there was no way that I could finish a whole bottle of wine by myself, I choose beer instead. The young man at the store suggested the BLB Lagerithim Dark Larger and it was refreshing and delicious. It went down almost a little too easily.

The entire bill - 3 cheeses, the Salame and the large bottle of beer came to $31.90.

This is yet another reason why my DD should consider coming to Claremont for college. I cannot imagine never having that Epoisses Coupe ever again! I can honestly say that it's my all time favourite cheese.

If you love cheese, the Cheese Cave is a must do!!!

1  Thank BajaR0sa
Reviewed 26 July 2016

This is an excellent spot to buy outstanding cheese with the help of experts who know their cheese. Friendly, non-pretentious, cheese knowledge is shared with their customers. If you love cheese, you must come here!

Reviewed 19 May 2016

We bought amazing cheeses, dried fruit, cornichons, nuts, olives, an excellent baguette, wine, a corkscrew, and a cheese knife. Then we set up a picnic under a tree on the Scripps campus for a graduation picnic. Much better food, better ambience, quiet, and more economical than trying to get a reservation for one of the few decent restaurants on graduation weekend. Cheese Cave is fabulous!