“Great stay ”
Review of City Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
City Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Columbia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We checked in to a beautiful room. Alisha was very helpful and attentive. Please check this place out when visiting Columbia, CA. This place is like stepping back in time. It has been a great experience.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We are so glad that you found our front desk staff to be helpful during your stay and we hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2017

We were in Sonora for a wedding recently and had a delightful stay at the City Hotel. As many times as we have visited Columbia, we have never stayed there. Mostly camped near by. We were the only guests in the hotel, which was lovely. The bar/dining room was closed (Monday night) so it was perfectly quiet.
Columbia is a different place when the tourists leave town at the end of the day. It was lovely to walk around with the town without visitors and experience the peace and solitude of the area.
We stayed in Room 2, since many of the comments talked about Room 1 being noisy. It had a charming balcony, albeit too cold to use it.
There is a lovely sitting area outside the rooms.

Room Tip: Room 2 was a delight...with a lovely balcony overlooking Main Street
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qsmamo
Reviewed 4 February 2017

I recently stayed at the City Hotel in Columbia. I had been there before and was really looking forward to my getaway. Unfortunately, it wasn't a positive experience.

We stayed in room #1. My stay began on Tuesday. Both the restaurant and saloon were closed. However, after I realized our room was directly above both, I asked the night clerk if it would be too noisy when they were open (on the 2nd & 3rd nights of my planned stay) and he said "no, not at all". Well, it was very noisy on Wednesday! Luckily, they closed down around 9pm, so it wasn't too bad. Still, it was loud & long enough to be bothersome. The night clerk should've moved us across the hall when I asked about it as the hotel was practically empty.

The room was pretty, but dirty. The ornate bed was very dusty, as were the mirror and the lamps. The upholstered chair was disgusting. I didn't mind the shower down the hall, and it was clean.

We were looking forward to our dinner at Christopher's. We had dined there several times in the past (I think it was run by the hospitality program at San Joaquin Community College at he time), and it was always excellent. Not so this time. I'm a vegetarian and there were only 2 or 3 items on the menu I could order. I opted for the mushroom lasagna. It looked good. However, it was way too salty! I could've powered through that, but the hot sauce in it I couldn't. I sent it back and got another pasta dish without the chicken. It was too salty too, and I gave up. My partner got the special, a rib eye steak. I tasted the sauce and it was very salty too! Not only that, it was way over cooked. She asked for medium-rare, but there was hardly any pink at all. Overall, a very bad experience for $88, not including tip. A good cook knows not to over-salt things, as it's always easy for the diner to add salt to taste, but impossible to take it out. Ditto hot sauce.

We decided to leave a day early, and won't be back again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on room #1 as it's directly above the restaurant and bar
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2016

We stayed in their 1 bedroom cottage. Full kitchen, living room, bedroom, attached bath.
Cute little house with yard and front porch a block from the hotel and attractions/restaurants/etc. Very comfortable bed, nostalgic décor. No cable t.v. but there is a flat screen to watch DVD's on (they have ones to loan at the hotel desk)
Super affordable. The only problem we had is that we came for Monday/Tuesday in the off season, and several of the restaurants and displays are only open Wed-Sunday

Room Tip: there are two larger cottages for 4-6 people
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann H
Columbia_Hotels, Public Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Thank you for your review of the cottages! We do offer 1, 2, and 3 bedroom cottages depending on your travel situation. They are all within walking distance of the historic downtown. Although some businesses close one or two days a week in the off-season, many remain open seven days a week. We hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 25 October 2016

If you want to stay in the center of the restored California Gold Rush town of Columbia, now a State Historic Park, the City Hotel is certainly the place to choose. (The Fallon Hotel, owned by the same concession, is similar, but it’s a couple of blocks further away from town center.) It’s restored to luxury standards for the time (and, yes, a bit beyond; it does, for instance, have indoor plumbing). The staff, mostly late-middle-aged ladies in period costumes, are friendly and helpful. The food (lunches and dinners) in the attached dining room is excellent (the main dishes I sampled were ribeye steak, Cajun fried chicken, and salmon risotto); you can have wine with your meal, or go next door to the What Cheer Saloon for additional libations.

There are some tradeoffs with regard to the rooms, however, due to the fact that definitions of luxury have changed a bit since the nineteenth century. The room my husband and I shared had the two beds we had requested, but there wasn’t space for much else. Lighting for the entire room consisted of one small, dim lamp between the two beds, and the available work area was one uncomfortable chair and one very small table, not really enough for two people who bring computers and papers with them; I got the staff to bring in one more chair (also uncomfortable), which helped some but not much. The plumbing was indeed included, but only the toilet and sink part; the showers were down the hall. The roof leaked, too. Basically, this is a fine place to stay if you are willing to put up with some discomfort in order to enjoy the period ambience; otherwise, maybe not so much.

Room Tip: look at the pictures on the website
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
8.7 km away
9.5 km away
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to City Hotel? Share your experiences!