US$267
US$224
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$203
El Rancho Motel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$149
Loews Coronado Bay Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$197
Loews Hotels
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$220/night.

El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$429
US$386
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Beach Village at The Del(Coronado)
US$1,499
Curio.com
  • Breakfast included
6,044 results
All reviewsvictorian buildingocean towersun deckice skatingcalifornia cabanaselevator operatorsheerwater restaurantocean fronticonic hotelmain buildingfull ocean viewmarilyn monroesan diegobucket listbannockdel coronadomain pool
Reviewed 3 June 2009

This trip to California and the National Parks with our friends was the last on the bucket list., After 2 weeks on the road, we were ready to be spoiled for a couple of days before flying home. Imagine the scene, and our feelings, as we arrived from Palm Springs at 12 noon on Mothers Day! When the parking valet knew we were checking in, he cleared a space in the traffic jam at the door, whisked away our bags and gave us complimentary valet parking. We were quickly registered and into our rooms, only to find that one had a garden view with a balcony and the other a view over the staff car park at the side. No trouble: our friends were given the room next to ours as soon as it had been cleaned.
Both rooms were immaculate, well-maintained and sympathetically decorated, just like the whole building. I was very impressed with the way modern services e.g. wiring, plumbing, air-con etc had been installed without spoiling the original fabric of the buiding. Yes, the rooms were small by modern American standards. What on earth do people expect? Try some top London hotels and you will realise what a gem this place is.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, even in the midst of the Mothers Day mayhem. It must be said that the whole experience felt a bit like a Night at the Museum, what with the hordes of day visitors, but it all helped to create a unique memory.
No, we didn't eat in. There's a great diner for breakfast on Orange Avenue, and we celebrated our friends' Ruby Wedding at Brigantine. Yes, of course there had to be a reason for our stay at the Del, and what better place to celebrate an anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Checked in to the Hotel Del Coronado with very high expectations. The website shows a glamorous, beautiful, pamering hotel. When we arrived we saw chipped paint, old carpeting, and a very run down property. Our room (in the "beach towers") reminded me of old Holiday Inn Hotels. Truly...it was NOTHING special and the price was outrageous given the poor condition of the property and our room. The location was fantastic and the town of Coronado was really nice. But the "Del" fell very, very short of our expectations. We planned to stay for four days and checked out after only one night. It was THAT disappointing.

1  Thank sjb88
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We recently took our second trip to the Del, with the previous time being for a business trip during a Winter season. Having enjoyed our prior visit, we took advantage of recent promotions being offered for the Summer months. We were extremely happy to see such rare offerings (to this degree) for the months offered.

The Del has a huge amount of history (established in 1888) and superb architecture, adding to the Resort experience. Movie stars, presidents, and other dignitaries have been through its doors. Its proximity to San Diego's airport and the city itself is superb, but this time we stayed solely on Coronado island itself, which offers quaint shops, excellent restaurants, safe biking, and laid-back beach activiites. Great for couples or families, and within easy walking distance to the Main Street (Orange Avenue) establishments.

The Del has good pools and great beach access, as well as reasonably priced restaurants and shops. Drinks are a bit pricey, but good. The rooms can run high, so plan accordingly, particularly in Summer months. Service is emphasized, although we found some slips this time.

As a "heads up", the Coronado ocean water itself may seem cold to many first-time visitors. These aren't Florida or Hawaii water temperatures, so plan accordingly. Also, there are occassional Air Force/ Naval jets that whiz by the Resort due to the bases close by. Again, consider accordingly and view it as an opportunity to see them up close.

My only complaint on this trip was that several of the activities promised in the in-room literature weren't available as advertised, and clearly was a big disconnect with the Hotel for the period we were there. Hopefully this problem is corrected for future visitors.

The Del is indeed a trip you won't forget and one we're glad we got to do again. If possible, try to get a room in the main building, where the history lives. On our previous visit, we were in the Ocean Towers, which were nice, but not near as enjoyable as the main building.

Reviewed 27 May 2009

~Yes, it's expensive but I think it's well worth it.
~Our family (3 year old boy, 1 year old boy, my husband and I) had a wonderful time.
~The property is great for people with kids.
~My 3 year old boy had a blast riding his bike (with training wheels) up and down the beach.
~The ambiance is great with just the right amount of people.
~The food at the restaurants is overpriced.
~For dinners, we walked to Island Pasta on Orange Avenue (about 5-10 minute walk) and had wonderful meals at reasonable prices. There were many other restaurants within walking distance that looked promising.
~We got a Resort King room in California Cabanas. The room was just right for our family (our 3 year old slept in the king bed with my husband and I and our 1 year old slept in a crib).
~The service was quick.
~$25 self-parking fee is excessive.
~We had no problem getting chairs at the main pool and it was during the Memorial Day weekend.
~We did not encounter any annoying groups at the pool or on the property.
~The view and walks on the beach are pretty amazing.
~We will definitely go back, probably every year.

Reviewed 22 May 2009

Went to Coronado to finish a bit of work, visit old friends and wanted to try the Hotel Del that I had admired from the outside. Way beyond my budget but I don't do this very often. Room w/2 beds and "partial ocean view" cost me over $1000 for 3 nights not including charges for parking, general "resort charge", and taxes. That would have been okay but that view was of a large parking lot (looking north with the ocean beyond--way too much paving and cars versus water) with people chatting loudly (admittedly it's a holiday place) late and early.

The room was "interesting" because it was very big and and an odd shape, but the bathroom was very small and the tub was too shallow--nothing like what Tony Curtis used in the movie "Some Like It Hot". The bathroom is not historical anyway so why not update it completely? Also, the room's decor was ugly with everything looking old instead of historic. I think the multi-million dollar upgrade (advertised on the website) included the cost of building time-share condos, spas, and upgrading public amenities and very little money was spent on the rooms themselves.

Noise was a problem because the hallway door did not seal so we heard the cleaning staff whenever they worked---also neighbors knocking on doors or calling to each other.

Food was a bit pricey (especially compared to the rest of Coronado) but quality was not especially fine--although service was excellent and pleasant.

The biz center made a big boo boo on some emails I had due that day (the wireless to my room was insufficiently fast so I did not have time to double check until the next morning to discover the mistakes) so I had to have everything redone the next morning and it meant I was officially late with my submittal. I was not pleased but I realized these were not highly paid staff.

Main problem was that the room was so expensive versus what I got for the money. In addition I was surprised when I logged on to find the room rates were higher when I tried to get an AAA discount--one rate without the discount and then a higher rate for AAA but a discount to make it the same as as the regular rate. Also, the room rate for getting a free night (2 nights paid and 1 night free) was higher than otherwise. Seemed shady.

Beautiful site though and the building is gorgeous on the outside. Next time I'm staying across the street and walking just a bit farther to get to the same beach. Friends who grew up in Coronado call the Hotel Del a slum.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business