“Visit this place to recall memory”

Olamendi's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 145 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017

This is possibly not for a great Mexican meal but ambiance will help you to go back few decades. Food is okay but little expensive. One can get a view of the ocean but once again not a great view. Service is good. So overall experience is possibly good.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Had a margarita and nothing special. I had a fish tostada with sea bass. The fish was clean and good but the beans were runny and spoiled the crispy shell. Not to mention the ambience, it was like being at grandmas house with all the Christmas ornaments that get left up all year and the day of the dead overload. Sorry but the only highlight was the waitress.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Visited Olamendi's in June for the first time in about 10 years. I live in Denver now, but used to visit there all the time when I lived in the OC. Very disappointed in the food. Ordered the chicken enchiladas and they were so-so, not the taste that I remember. The chips were stale and the salsa had no bite to it at all. Wait staff were nice and did not have to wait too long for a table, but the food has definitely changed for the worse. Sad as this once was a fun and delicious place.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

What a shame. Olamendi's was a goto place more than 50 years ago. And, we'd frequented the place. Nixon liked the place, too. At the beach with authentic Mexican food. THE BEST!

So what happened? We had gone to their Mission Viejo location just three months before, but hadn't been at the original location in Dana Point for some time.

BUT THE FOOD! It was simply terrible. And, believe me, I know good Mexican food... in fact, I still live in Mexico three months a year.

We started with totopos (chips to you gringos), salsa Mexicana and guacamole. The chips were store-bought, the salsa Mexicana had been sitting around for a week...and the guacamole, black, watery and flavorless.

The Margaritas were okay, surely because we made it clear that we did not want it made with a mix.

For our main courses.... a tostada con carnitas for my wife, and for me fish tacos con frijoles refritos.

¡HORRIBLE! We couldn't believe it! ¡Atroz!

The tostada was mostly lettuce and the carnitas were inedible with huge pieces of not meat, not fat, but chunks of blubber....

The fish tacos were absolutely tasteless. Lots of fish, buy totally tasteless. Shoved into douible store-bought tortillas, that fell totally apart upon picking them up...

Just so you know, though... the wait staff were great. We were especially sorry for our waitress having to work in such a place.

As for reviews that talk abou authentic Mexican food, that' simply touristic talk.

As for the expense, I'm not a cheapskate, mind you, but our meal cost far, far more than it should have!

Never again.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Reasonably priced. Authentic food. Waiting line for lunch and dinner is always a good sign. No a/c though.