“Comfortable and casual with great sushi”

Gen Kai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 149 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

The restaurant opens at 11:30 on weekdays. We arrived when it opened and within a half an hour it was packed. The service was excellent, the sushi fresh and plated beautifully. The price was mid range. I had the sushi lunch which included miso soup and rice for approximately $12. The building the restaurant is in has been there quite a while, so the interior is clean yet comfortable.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

Lunch time is hustle bustle. Dinner a little more quiet. Very good service, fair prices, nice ambiance.
We usually go for lunch

Reviewed 13 September 2016

You can't get a better review than this: I lived in Japan for several years, and traveled back to Dana Point several times a year, often with several of my Japanese managers in tow. They wouldn't generally eat much regardless of which restaurant we chose, and I finally found out that they were just humoring me to go to a fabulous steak for fish restaurant, and after I checked out for the night, they went to Gen Kai for their "real meal". Hey, if they think it's the best sushi in Dana Point, I believe them. Try the Dinner Boat for 2-4 adults... it's huge, delicious, filling, and simply a hoot to have such a dramatic serving "tray". Fabulous.

1  Thank Diveman9
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Very busy place. But worth the wait. Excellent fresh clean fish
You can taste the quality. I will be
Eating here again, and introducing
Friends to a delightful dinner.
Parking is a bit tough, so get a
Reservation and come early to
Park.

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Best sushi around. Big long sushi bar.
Chefs are legit. Hamachi and salmon Nigiri delicious. Order the mackerel! Chef said it was super fresh. No lie. Showed us the fish. Prepared it in right front of us. Then fried up the left over..sounds weird right? It was delicious too.