“Charming French restaurant on Dana Point Harbor”
Review of Gemmell's

Gemmell's
Ranked #34 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
Transit: Public transit stops in front of the Harbor of Dana Point.
Reviewed 28 July 2016

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner here! Housed in a charming house-like storefront, Gemmell's is a first-rate French restaurant in beautiful Dana Point. I had the crepes and my husband had the beef bourginon. Both were delicious! They also have an extensive wine list and wonderful desserts. I highly recommend the Harlequin Souffle, which is half chocolate and half Grand Marnier. Scrumptios!

There are newer reviews for Gemmell's

Reviewed 1 July 2016

This restaurant does a great job with service and was very accommodating when asked to tailor a dish. Although it looked like a storefront, the location in Dana Point Harbor is upscale. However, I was a bit taken with sticker shock when I saw our tab. The food was very good and everything was cooked perfectly. The best part of the evening was the relaxed and quite luxurious atmosphere, white tablecloths and all, and not being rushed during dinner.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

WE thought we wree in the twilight zone when our waiter said that "this chef makes beurre blanc without wine or butter, that it's a cream sauce".
So we gave him a quick lesson n French and made a different choice for an entree.
We started with the escargot, they were bad. 1 star.
I then had lobster bisque and I swear I've gotten better from the deli at Ralphs, what a disappointment. 1 star.
My rack of lamb came out swimming in a brown gravy that seemed allot more like Irish or English cooking than french, You simply could not taste the lamb. 1 star.
My sister had a piece of fish that I had a bite of - it was pretty tasty and well cooked.
It saved this review from a 1 star rating.

The service was attentive and the patio seating was nice but the food was lousy.

I won't be back under any circumstances.

Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

Gemmell's has been a place we make a point to go when we come to the area. Over the years the food has remained stellar and we enjoy dining here, always for lunch. They offer a lunch plate for $14.95 where you can have chicken, beef, pork or fish as the main protein, all with different options, plus today, rice and a nice fresh veggie medley.

My "go to" has become the sand dabs because 1. they are delicious and 2. I've never seen them on any other menu anywhere. My wife had the poached salmon today and remarked on how perfectly cooked it was.

The decor is getting a little old and that's why I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 5.

Reviewed 12 May 2016

We came across this unique restaurant while visiting the Harbor Shopping Center. Quant restaurant with extensive menu and good drink selections. They have a businessman's special that had excellent and varied choices. Food delicious and made fresh daily. Portions generous. Service is customer focused. Highly recommend this comfortable old world decor restaurant with continental menu.