“Tried Twice - Not Excited to Go Back a Third Time”
Review of Gemmell's

Gemmell's
Ranked #37 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
Transit: Public transit stops in front of the Harbor of Dana Point.
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I have gone to this restaurant twice.

The first time was for dinner. That time, I ordered the Sand Dabs dinner which came with rice and vegetables. When it came out - it was luke warm at best. Since I was with a larger party, I chose not to say anything. And the food tasted just ok at best.

I went again today for lunch. The restaurant was pretty empty. Most of the lunches were $15.95 which I feel is a little steep for lunch! But they did come with a salad. I ordered the burger....it was just ok at best.

The decor inside the restaurant is very nice, the service was ok...I think one can find a better meal somewhere else for less.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

The service was absolutely top notch throughout our meal. The food was very good. I had chicken, and it could have benefited from a bit more flavor.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

The food is really good. Very tasty and portions are appropriate. Definitely check out this place if you are in mood for good food. The location is right in the Dana point harbor. No fantastics views except for the people you go with. The decor is very European and nice. The service was good not over the top friendly but more in line with French attitude.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I was there for lunch on a Saturday. I loved the quiet atmosphere in which you could actually hear your dining companions. The food was excellent. I had sand dabs, which you don't find in many restaurants. They are commonly found in cafes in France. The service was professional and the atmosphere was relaxing. The highlight of our meal was the desert crepes with berries and ice cream (luscious!).

Reviewed 24 April 2017

Lived in the area for many years but never tried this restaurant. Saw there was a groupon and decided to give it a try. We arrived to an almost empty room and found out there was a special groupon menu.
Made our selections and then some rolls came. Not very interesting just rolls. We had an asparagus in puff pastry and a sauce for appetizer, bland and the pastry hard and crumbly.
The salads were baby greens that was ok, the other remain hearts had a weird dressing with odd flavor.
I had sand dabs breaded, and again an odd sauce with steamed vegetables. My partner had the only steak offered ,top sirloin. Very tough when asked to change a different menu showed up that had poached salmon. The steak was changed and the salmon was good.
If you offer a groupon to introduce your restaurant I would think you would try to impress so to gain return business. We were not impressed. Skip the groupon and go someplace else.