“Poor refund policy”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Los Angeles, California
“Poor refund policy”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This hotel was very very ungracious about rescheduling my stay. More than 24 hours ahead of time I contacted them and tried to reschedule. They said fine but they would charge me 100% of my rate. All sorts of hotels (regardless of posted "policy") would have accommodated me. I travel a lot, and have been so accommodated by many hotel chains. But this "Best Western" would not. Not so classy of them.
I will never stay here again. And I will tell my entire group (a club soccer team) not to book here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael P
BestWesternDanaPoint, Manager at Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for your review and your comments. Unfortunately we do have to hold firm to our cancel or change policy when a request is made within the binding period. Please understand that as a hotel we guarantee to hold the room for you and will not sell it to anyone else, even if we are able to receive a higher price. In turn it is only fair that the guest guarantees to arrive for the room or give the hotel a fair opportunity to resell the room in case the guest cannot arrive. Our apologies for not being more flexible with your cancellation, but if there was no policy in place for reservations, there would not be a reason to book reservations or for us to guarantee you a room at the rate in which was agreed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This hotel has gorgeous garden decor outside, the rooms are spacious with a mini kitchen, and the ocean view is spectacular! The staff is extremely attentive. The beach is right across the street, and there are several restaurants within walking distance.

The Coast Highway is quite busy during the day, and the trains are right there (the whistle blows right in front of the hotel because there is a crossing nearby). It is a little annoying, but the view from the balcony makes it all worthwhile. I didn't notice the trains after about 10:30 at night.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I give this motel an average rating only because I didn't like the Dana Point location. The motel itself was awesome, but with the train whistle (yes, it's a bit annoying, not "quaint" like some have said) and PCH running right in front of the motel, I would've picked a motel elsewhere. The front desk staff was a 5. The beds, shower, TV, hot tub and cleanliness were all 5. If you don't mind the location, chose this motel. The location gets a zero from me.

Room Tip: Maybe the back side of the motel would be better for the noise in front. But then you wouldn't...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Heidi H
Thank you for the high scoring on our rooms and customer service. The majority of our guests don't mind the train and some find it enjoyable, but we do understand that the whistle may not be that way for everyone. A crosswalk to the south of our hotel is the reason for the train whistle when traveling in that direction, fortunately we do not hear the small Amtrak when going north. We have been working very hard with the city and a safety device has recently been constructed. It is now in the process of creating a "silent zone" so the train may pass without tooting it's horn. Hopefully if you decide to return to our hotel in the future, the train will not affect your stay.
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just had a nice trip to Dana Point with my Mother. We usually stay at The Blue Lantern Inn which has been a favorite of ours for many years. This time we stayed at Dana Point Inn by the Sea for a change. We were not disappointed at all. Our room was beautiful ( #214 ) we had a beautiful view of the crashing waves and and lots of bird activity.The room has been recently redecorated and has a really comfy bed and a gorgeous shower with 11 spraying heads in it. ( Crazy, but true!)
The train tracks are just across the street, but somehow the train noise did not bother us at all, it just added to the fun of it
The location of the hotel is ideal for a beach walk, or short drive to San Clemente for some great restaurants and the pier. We dinned at Olemendis Mexican Restaurant just north of the hotel and the following day took in Del Mar Street in San Clemente, for shopping, strolling and a nice casual lunch.
The only down side I could find was the internet connection was not good from our room and the continental breakfast was nothing special, however these things can easily be overlooked as the room itself was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly redecorated one. oceanfront, with balconey!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
BestWesternDanaPoint, Manager at Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Libby V,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our latest addition to guest rooms which was completed not long before your stay. The beds we use throughout our hotel are Sealy Memory Foam Pillow Top mattresses and have been praised for their comfort, so we are happy to hear that you slept comfortably and enjoyed our small Coastliner trains that pass during the day.

The shower is what we call our "Ultimate Shower Experience." As you step in, gorgeous stone/ tile treatments surround you as our 10 adjustable body spray begin to sooth and the gentle overhead rain washes away the stress that was left from the day.

Wired internet was available in your room during your time of stay and we are currently installing wireless access points to provide better coverage throughout the hotel. A hot breakfast will also take the place of the continental the next time you are in town to enjoy our hotel. Thank you again for being a valued guest and we appreciate your candid comments.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My son and his wife live in the area and we were in town to take care of some family business, last minute. I called this hotel receiving excellent service from the front desk quickly making arrangements for our one night stay.

The exterior areas are beautiful and the rooms have recently been updated with granite in the kitchenette area as well as the bath. More importantly, the beds have the pillow top mattress which makes for a very good nights sleep. Even though the hotel is on the opposite side of the coast highway I still heard the waves crashing, which is a plus for me. The train tracks are also across the street but being from a small northern California town I loved hearing the trains pass by. I must note that they do NOT run all night so for those that don't find that a positive I'd give this hotel a try.

We will return, and hopefully next time will be for pleasure.

Room Tip: Double queen on the 2nd floor over the office provided a nice partial ocean view and was very comfor...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
12.7 km away
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea? Share your experiences!