“Enjoyable Dinner Spot in Del Mar”
Review of Searsucker Del Mar

Searsucker Del Mar
Reserve with OpenTable
Searsucker Del Mar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 100 Restaurants in Del Mar
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Located where the surf meets the turf in sunny Del Mar, Searsucker is a nationally recognized social dining concept encouraging guests to come early, and stay late. Menus are both serious and fun, with creative twists on New American Classics for Weekend Brunch, Weekday Lunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Dishes range from shared plates and small bites ideal for the whole table, to farm and ocean dishes that you'll want to keep all to yourself. Inspired by the simplicity, relaxed and feel-good vibe of the seersucker fabric, Searsucker offers a space that invites patrons to relax and enjoy. The airy design features a glass enclosed kitchen, a lounge space with comfortable seating and a lively bar area. Patrons can watch the action, chat without boundaries and feel as if they’re at a friend’s dinner party rather than a restaurant--so come early, and stay late!
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Four of us had a Happy Birthday dinner for my daughter on a Monday evening. We decided to sit at the bar for Happy Hour cocktails and appetizers and it was a fun and lively place. Drinks and appetizers arrived promptly and we enjoyed them. Later we were seated in a comfy, roomy booth. Our server was very friendly and courteous. Our entrees included the 1/2 lb burger, seared tuna, salmon and mac & cheese with spinach and Brussels sprout sides. Presentation on each entree was very good. Everything was very good although the Rare Tuna was a bit on the dry side. They knew it was my daughter's birthday and they brought out a delicious piece of chocolate cake with ice cream (with a candle, of course). It's definitely not economy dining, but that's not what you go to Del Mar expecting. All in all we had a very enjoyable dinner experience at Searsuckers.

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

While visiting San Diego I was driving up 101 and asked around for a place to eat while heading north and Searsucker was recommended. You could say I rolled the dice and won! The weather and seating location was perfect, made it easy enjoy the sunset while trying something new. I normally take lots of pictures but once I bit into my meal I couldn’t stop. The service was good, staff was friendly, and the food was flavorful. I would definitely go again when visiting San Diego.

1  Thank BigRo77
Reviewed 6 February 2018

We were pleasantly surprise with this restaurant. We ordered salmon and short ribs , the salmon came with one side and the short ribs had mashed potatoes . Both entrees were excellent. I had a side of mushrooms which was quite a lot and delicious . We also had a cob salad to share which was good. The atmosphere is ok, more casual than I thought it would be but we liked the fact that it was family friendly. The service could have been better, our server kept disappearing although we saw other servers that seemed on top of things so perhaps ours was new or had tables a long way from ours. Botton line is we would return to this establishment since the food was good and priced moderately.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

We made our first visit to Searsucker during San Diego Restaurant Week. The decor is ‘rustic loft’, which I really liked — high ceilings, exposed ductwork, rough woodwork. Our server was pleasant and came to our table within a few minutes. Even though it was SDRW, the restaurant was busy, but not overly so. Therefore, there was no excuse for us having to wait for over 15 minutes after requesting sugar-free sweetener for my husband’s iced tea. He only received it when our entrees arrived and we asked for it again. (Speaking of that tea, he wished he had been informed that it was fruit-flavored (peach?), so he was expecting brewed black tea - he didn’t find it to be a nice surprise.)

As for the food, yes, it’s pricey, but the menu is available online so we weren’t shocked as some other reviewers were. I ordered the Jidori chicken and it was wonderful - perfectly cooked chicken with strips of crispy skin accompanied by a delicious composition of roasted veg and a lime infused purée. My husband’s flank steak was cooked as he requested, and he declared it would have been very good if it hadn’t been accompanied by the Chile toreado purée which was SO spicy hot he couldn’t enjoy the taste of the beef. As with the iced tea, he should have been informed that the purée may not be what he was expecting. I suggested he send the plate back to the kitchen, but he’s not comfortable doing that - I would have.

Because of the bit of inattentive service and lack of some crucial descriptive information, I would have given Searsucker Del Mar a rating of 4. However, as I stated earlier, the restaurant was busy, but there were several large empty tables so it wasn’t packed. Even so, the decibel level of the dining room and pounding din of the background noise was terrible. My husband and I were sitting side-by-side and we had to lean into each other and yell in order to be heard. There was no way we could have had a relaxing dinner conversation, so we just quit trying. I realized I was just shoveling down the food in order to escape the ratcheting atmosphere as soon as possible. For this aesthetic reason alone, I would give this restaurant a 1 rating, but I compromised with a 3.

This is not a restaurant we will be returning to as there are a good many choices available in the area which are comparably priced, but also offer an atmosphere conducive to actually enjoying your visit.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

The food was amazing at Searsuckers! The menu is limited but I like that and they do everything well. The service was good not great that’s why I rate it as a 4. For the price you pay you expect the service to be great but it wasn’t.

The food was excellent and worth the price. We had a large party and everyone’s food was excellent. I’m from Hawaii and the Poke was excellent! They also have fries drizzled with duck fat which were excellent. Give it a try and see if you like it.