“Take Out Ribs”

Chicken Plus Greek Cuisine
Ranked #86 of 384 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Today on the way home from tax preparer's I stopped in at Chicken Plus Greek Cuisine here in my town of Escondido, California. It's been a couple of years since I have stopped in but I was in the mood for a half rack of pork ribs. I ordered ribs, potato salad and coleslaw TO GO. It also comes with breadsticks. The breadsticks were a little dry and I'm somewhat finicky about coleslaw (no onions!). This coleslaw did not have onions, which as good, but it was chopped up a little too fine for my taste, put perfectly acceptable flavor and quality. The ribs were good, and very meaty, although I think they made them differently a few years back from what I can recall. My favorite was the potato salad this time.

Next time, I'll get the chicken, which is always good (roasted on a spit) or maybe I'll try something new like the spanokopita, which I've never had before. I might also try eating in the restaurant, where they have a small area with tables and mini-booths as well and a pleasant-looking outside dining area, also small.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

The great reviews promised a wonderful experience of Greek cuisine, but the reality was Americanized dishes. The gyro sandwich ground mixture of chicken and lamb tasted like neither and was dry. Not to have perfectly cooked lamb on the spit is a travesty of a real Greek cafe. The place is a cafe and by no means to be classed as a restaurant. Paper napkins, tzatziki served in small plastic cups like those used for salsa in inexpensive Mexican restaurants, lettuce as a filler in a Greek salad that traditionally has no lettuce, all point to an experience that is affordably unauthentic. The one saving grace was an outstanding chicken soup that my wife had previously experienced and, maybe, is the only reason to return.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for chicken as well as Greek food, this is the place. Chicken dinner was very moist and excellent. Chicken ceaser salad was best I have ever had as the chicken was moist AND the salad was if they had just picked it! Greek Gyro was also tasty.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

Had the falafel salad today for lunch. Don't let the underwhelming exterior deter you, worth the trip.

A customer even called in a pick up order and came in to cancel it realizing she left her wallet at home. The owner, with no hesitation said, no problem, bring it tomorrow. That's service.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Been going to this little "hole in the wall" for years. Best Greek food in the area from gyros to souvlakia, greek salads, avgolemono, baklava etc. It serves large portions and also has the best fish & chips (portions enough for two!) On nice days sit out on the little patio. This place is usually packed for lunch.

Date of visit: May 2015