“Dinner with a good friend.”
Review of Cafe Hidalgo

Cafe Hidalgo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Hidalgo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 403 Restaurants in Fullerton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We met at 6 pm before our friend had to drive home in LA. We shared and started with Las Ramblas mushrooms in a sauce my wife drank, 2 chicken tostadas, salsa, shrimp ceviche and corn chips. It was all good but I would have liked a bit more spice. We then shared an excellent grilled steak Chimichurri with grilled vegetables. The grilled steak was a hit all around it was tender and full of flavor. We had a good 2 hours of relaxation and good food.

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Came here for my birthday with family and friends. 3 of us ordered the seafood paella. An hour later all 3 of became horribly sick. Im talking barely make home to your bathroom kinda sick. Called the manager the next day to tell him what had happened, he offered no apology or compensation what so ever. He said the manager on duty that night would have to talk with me. I left my name and #, I was very nice and cordial the whole time. A week later no call back. Called back and left my name and # again explaining that no one contacted me, 3 weeks later still haven't heard back from them. This is not only horrible customer service, the food should not be making people sick. I'll bet anything that every single person who ate paella that night got a big surprise an hour later. Thank you Cafe Hildago for making my birthday truly memorable.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Been here many times, and is always a great “go to” spot. We dined outdoors in the Villa Del Sol courtyard, it was quite pleasant. The food was good as always, two of us had the Chili Rojo plate and it was very tasty. The seafood pasta – linguini with a large shrimp was good, especially if you like it spicy. We will definitely return again.

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Café Hidalgo is located in the Villa del Sol complex on the northwest corner of Harbor Boulevard and Wilshire Avenue in downtown Fullerton. Despite what you might assume from the name, Café Hidalgo is not necessarily a Mexican restaurant. In fact, they advertise themselves as offering “authentic foods from Mexico, Spain and Latin America.” It’s not the sort of place where you are automatically served free chips and salsa; you can order them, but they will cost you as an appetizer (we ordered them, and they were quite good).

My wife ordered the marinated steak salad, while I had the grilled fish taco (which is really more of a wrap). The food was well-prepared, well-presented and appropriately portioned for lunch. The restaurant itself is very pleasant, and there is both seating indoors and on their outdoor patio.

The service on this day was quite helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our lunch at Café Hidalgo and plan to return in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Ordered the following and received it all except for the soup within minutes of each other. A full table lacking anything interesting or worth experiencing again... wait! The albondiga soup was good.

Albondiga soup- Good meatball soup,Simple but with just enough flavor to enjoy.

Shrimp Ceviche- Bland ! This is ceviche at the very least it should taste like citrus if nothing else. Not in our dish every single ingredient was flavorless and the micro slice of lime did nothing to help the situation,

Steak salad- it was okay but two bites in we get our entree.

Pesto Pollo- Bland and boring. Chicken reminded me of the chicken you get on a diner sandwich, Dry and flavorless. Too spicy for what this type of dish would be expected to be.