“Exceptional service”

Hyatt Regency Orange County
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We checked in late on our first night to find our family of four was to stay in a room with one king bed and no available cots! The check in staff were extremly apologetic and did their best to make us as comfortable as possible, giving us a free breakfast for the next morning. We went to eat and were told up front it would be at least half an hour for food since three large parties had been seated so our travel weary family chose to eat in the lounge. Great choice and we appreciated being told up front. Our next night we were moved to a kids suite which was awesome and just as we remembered from our previous visit. The hotel was completly full and very busy, yet the staff was always friendly and accomodating. The Disney shuttle was awesome, friendly and efficient. The ability to check-in for flights and print boarding passes was much appreviated at check out. Overall, a great stay for a very reasonable price.

1  Thank CMT95
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you so much for being such understanding guests, and we are glad that we were able to accommodate your family’s needs! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Kid’s Suite, OC Brewhouse, and Disneyland shuttle service. Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us, and we hope to invite you back as our guest again!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,630)

THE CONDITIONS OF THE TRIP:

- 2 people
- 2 nights of a king bed standard room at AAA discounted rate of 129.00/night
- paid using Hyatt Check Certificates
- purpose of visit: Disneyland
- important note: we have been trying to make Hyatt "our brand" since our stay at the Andaz Wall Street in October of 2011
- were noted as a "honeymoon couple"
- the reviewer is a frequent traveler and has worked as a special event planner/organizer for 2 large American companies (i.e. I was the guy who picked/booked the hotels for conferences and parties in addition to other stuff)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF THE HOTEL:

The Hyatt Regency looks very new, and I suspect they went through a relatively recent renovation. The main entrance is tucked away from the street corner the hotel is located on and the hotel is lined with trees as you walk up to the main doors. Once inside, you are struck by the HUGE lobby, which some rooms of the hotel have views onto (this seems to be a common Hyatt trait as the Grand Hyatt in DC also has these). The overall effect was summed up well by my wife, whose first words about the hotel were "this would be a good place for a prom". The main desk is one of those "free floating"-kiosk types where the receptionists have laptops, and at first I mistook it for the concierge. From my recent hotel trips, this is becoming more and more common.

The person who helped us check in was professional and cordial, if not particularly "warm" (I should note that all of our 3 interactions with reception were like this). We checked in easily and were off to our room. ***(THIS HAS BEEN UPDATED, SEE BELOW)

The hotel also has a swimming pool (which seems to be used frequently as I saw many guests in swimsuits and towels), fitness rooms, and multiple restaurants.

THE ROOM:

We were given a room in the corner of the 16th floor (of 17) of the SOUTH tower. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get a room in the NORTH tower (assuming it's better) or whatever overlooks the lobby. Our room's views had a wall to the left, a basketball court beneath us, and nothing of any note in any other direction.

The room itself was clean, but not particularly special. It had a coffee maker, large analog TV (picture was lacking), bottles of water ($2.00 each, no mini-bar or snacks), ironing board, etc. It is really hard to critique such a plain room other than to say that it was "fine", however, there was nothing to distinguish it's appearance in regards to furniture/cleanliness from a Marriott or Hilton of the same class/price.

I will, however, comment on the bathroom. While it was clean and came with the soaps one expects (though it did notably include a tube of toothpaste, which I appreciated), I have to talk about the WATER PRESSURE. The sink and toilet were very weak, to the point that the toilet required up to 3 flushes to, um, evacuate everything. And while the sink was fine for washing hands, it might not have been fine for hand-washing laundry. The shower, however, was good.

THE DISNEYLAND ASPECT:

I suspect a majority of travelers to this area come for Disneyland. Because of that, this whole area is filled with restaurants, hotels, and motels. The area is also served by a wonderful bus system called the "ART" (Anaheim Resort Transit) which has multiple lines that serve the entire area and many hotels directly. The Hyatt, very notably, is NOT served by the ART and they advertise a shuttle to Disneyland at $4/day. This sounds great, until you realize that you can easily catch the ART on the very same corner the hotel is located (ART Line #1, about 200 feet from the main doors or ART Line #14, across the street one stoplight down) and that you can purchase a 3-day, unlimited pass for $10 dollars which means you'll save a few bucks if your stay is on the longer side. And honestly, I believe in paying into the infrastructure of the area rather than one company.

Along those same lines, all the hotels in this area advertise their proximity to Disneyland, and the result is that they are all correct. None of these hotels, the Hyatt included, are far from the Disneyland Maingate. But if you want to be technical about it, there are closer hotels than the Hyatt, thought it's only a matter of a block or two. And because they are all in competition with each other, it keeps the quality of the hotels in terms of cleanliness very high (my sister is a Disney Annual Pass holder and frequents these hotels, even the cheaper motels are clean according to her).

FOOD:

I feel I have to bring this up separately because unlike other hotel situations you might find yourself in, a resort area like Garden Grove/Anaheim/Disney is unique in the sheer number of options. Within a 3 minute walk from the Hyatt's main doors are fast food options like Jack In the Box and Del Taco, a Buca di Beppo, an Outback Steakhouse, a Red Robin and the list goes on and on. Food is not an issue in this area, and that makes any of the hotel restaurants sort of pointless if MONEY/COST is of any consideration to you. Why spend $13 on a Hyatt burger (more if you're getting room service) when you can easily take a short walk and spend half that (if not less) on something you might like just as much if not more. Simply said, hotel restaurants are less of any amenity when other food options are easy to come by.

MISCELLANEOUS:

To go back to one of my first statements, the service here was not particularly "warm". Our reservation noted we were a "honeymoon couple", but we were not even offered a simple "congratulations", let alone was it acknowledged in any way further. I only mention this because it stood out in stark contrast to our treatment at Disneyland, where we went to City Hall and were given "Just Married" pins and had employees wishing us congratulations every time they saw us. I understand that a large hotel cannot always do something special, but a simple "congratulations" would go a long way into engendering goodwill.

Also, and I feel this needs special mention due to changing times, but hotels like the Hyatt (and Marriott and the other large brands) should consider updating their method of securing charges for incidentals. Like 1000's of other of my generation (I'm 33) I ruined my credit early in my life and have no major credit cards, so all reservations get placed on my bank debit cards. Since debit authorizations are treated as an immediate withdrawal by banks, this can lead to a serious shortage of funds if you do not plan accordingly. Fortunately, we do and always have cash on hand to cover these things, but with a generation that is often purposely avoiding owning credit cards (I have many friends who do not own one), it might be wise to come up with a way to secure charges without actually "charging" people upfront. Yes, that authorization drops off in 7 days, but it's a major inconvenience for those without enough money.

FINAL SUMMATION:

The Hyatt Regency is a good hotel. With it's lobby, restaurants, and meeting spaces, I think this would be a wonderful hotel to hold a conference or special event. But for the average traveler there for Disneyland, let alone a family, there are too many equally or better priced options in the area that have the same amenities and will fit your needs. Example, I have stayed at the Marriott Suites. The hotel is perfectly fine for a Disneyland visit and offers most of the same perks as this Hyatt. It is ACROSS THE STREET from the Hyatt, so only a few feet further, and just randomly looking up reservations right now, I can find standard rooms for up to $50 cheaper most nights. And that is for a hotel that is all suites. I DO NOT WORK for the Marriott brand. Also, the Hilton's Hampton Inn is a couple of doors down from this Hyatt. You can find rooms for over $50 cheaper that this Hyatt, and they INCLUDE breakfast with all reservations.

We enjoy the Hyatt brand and plan on continuing to stay at them when we can. However, this particular hotel is just not special enough to recommend it above others in this area. If you can find a deal here, take it. But if you cannot, you are better off choosing another option.

***UPDATE: After filling out a Hyatt survey for our stay and making many of the same observations, we were immediately contacted by a representative from the hotel. The representative went out of their way to apologize for the poor customer service and gave us an upgrade on our next visit to make up for it. This will most certainly cause my wife and I to give Hyatt another chance. However, all of my hotel-specific observations remain the same and in the end my final recommendation is the same. However, I upped to 4 out of 5 for the customer service on the back-end. If that is the norm for this Hyatt, then they deserve a shot if you can get the right rate.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelinDandy

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay, and we thank you for letting us know as we are always finding ways to improve. We are glad that you will be giving Hyatt OC another chance, and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here this past week with my wife and two kids during our trip to DisneyLand. We stayed in a Best Western the first two nights and decided to stay an extra night so we moved over to this Hyatt.

We booked the "Kids Suite".

The hotel itself was very nice looking with a huge lobby. The front desk staff, while polite and cordial, seemed overwhelmed with the number of people checking in and asking questions. There was quite a line and I waited about 20 minutes to get to the front of the line (there was only one person working the desk). Not sure why a hotel this size would only have one person working the desk during a busy time like this.

The hotel offers the option to Valet park or self park. I didn't bother looking at the price of the valet, but just note that self parking is 15$ a night.

There is no free Wifi... (Best Western was free?) The shuttle service to Disney is 4$ per day per adult. Really started feeling nickel and dimed here.

The room itself was very nice visually. The beds were EXTREMELY comfy and the kids loved the bunk beds and the fact that they had their own TV. The only complaint I have with the room was the lack of water pressure in the shower (it was horrible - like a dripping hose) and the weird murky milky colored water that came out of the sink faucet. Not sure what was going on there. Had we been staying for more than one night I might have complained but the fun we had at Disney had me too tired to bother.

Overall, for the price of the room, it was not a bad place to stay and we'd probably stay again.

*Just a suggestion to the management - We noticed you had a separate kiosk to purchase Disney tickets to the left of your main desk (right in front of the shuttle pick up). Wouldn't it make sense to allow the purchase of shuttle passes here?? I had to stand in the front desk line AGAIN to purchase shuttle passes and nearly missed the shuttle because it took 20 minutes to make it to the front of the line (AGAIN) for a 30 second transaction. And yes, the Disney kiosk was open and available at the time!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us. We truly apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced during you stay, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention so that we may rectify the situation. Thank you for your review and suggestion, and we hope you will give us another try!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt last week for a trip to Disneyland and it was a very nice experience. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the breakfast buffet is good and they have a shuttle that goes back and forth from disneyland every 30 minutes all day long. Great alternative to the much more expensive Disneyland hotels

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Disneyland! We are excited to hear that you enjoyed the guestrooms, TusCA breakfast buffet, and shuttle service to Disneyland. Thank you for your great review of the hotel, and we hope to invite you back as our guest again!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I, and our 2 kids (4 and 12) stayed at they Hyatt for a week before Easter, to enjoy Disneyland. We were not disappointed. We stayed in a kids suite which is fantastic. The bunk beds, with own television, heaps of room for the kids to play in their area. The bottom bunk bed was actually a double bed, so realistically if you had 2 small children they could sleep in bottom bed, and the older child in the top bunk.
Our bed was amazing, big and comfortable and the best pillows.
We had a fridge, and a microwave and coffee/tea maker.
The shuttle bus is lovely - coming back and forth every 30mins. From early in the morning to 1.00am in the morning. So transport back and forth to Disneyland is easy....and they play kids movies on the bus to fit in the "theme" of Disneyland visit.
Our kids suite did not have a view of Disneyland - so we didn't get to see the fireworks at night from our room, but that was no problem, as our kids were asleep early after a full day at Disneyland each day.
We ate at the TUSCA our first night (after jetlag) and it was a fantastic meal. Kids 12 and under eat free - they provided complimentary cob bun with some beautiful gourmet dips whilst we waited for our meal. The meals were great. The kids were falling asleep, so they even gave us a "doggy bag" to take to our rooms for the kids dessert, so they wouldn't miss out!
We also ate at OCB another night - which is great, as there is a kids area (which you can see the kids from anywhere you sit - so you don't have to move!) they have a Disney Movie playing so the kids are happy to sit and watch and eat. Again kids can eat free, but my eldest child had fish and chips from the normal menu and it was a beautiful dish.
We had been travelling for 2 weeks prior, so washing clothes was problem for me throughout my journey, however, there is a laundry mat, across the road - near Pizza Hut/Subway. It was easy!
Target is also across the road on another corner. So convenient. For other Australians, Target in the states also have a grocery area, so you can pick up drinks/water/bread/ cold items, like ham and cheese. Fresh Fruit (which we were craving). Having a target so close by is a huge plus...
I wouldn't walk to Disneyland from the Hyatt, take the Shuttle.
When booking our trip, I didn't know if to book the Hyatt and get value for money or book Disney California Hotel which is in Disneyland and almost double the price. My friends stayed at Disney California and it is easy, just walk down and one side Disneyland other side Downtown District. But the rooms are no way as big as the Hyatt, and all the surrounding shops are all tourist type shops/cafes etc. So no laundry mat close by, no target close by to get some easy things and fresh fruit etc... Sometimes you need to get away from the tourist cafes/tourist shops - but it all depends how long you have been travelling!
Internet is not free - but for $9.95 a day it was a lot less than other hotels we were staying in at the States.
Front Desk also has International Stamps to purchase for postcards etc and they will take your postcards and post them for you too.
I would definately stay at the Hyatt again!
It made our life easy!

Room Tip: Ask for a Kids Suite - as it gives a family room to spreadout and enjoy seperate areas.