“I eat here every visit”

Altamirano Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 155 Restaurants in Goleta
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This place has the best Mexican food, for a great value. I live in Colorado. To my surprise, the Mexican food is fAirly grim here. So, whenever I'm in Goleta, I'll eat dinner here at least one night. The food is well prepared and full of flavor. The staff is super friendly. I've never been here when it's busy (probably because I'm usually here after the dinner rush).
I really wish there was a place like this at home.

Date of visit: January 2014
1  Thank Loup407

Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is not your prettied-up faux-Mexican yuppified bar and grill. One hears very little English spoken by the customers. But the food is well-prepared, the recipes authentic (with the substitution of vegetable oil for lard), the prices right, the service friendly. On a nice day you can sit at one of the two tables on a porch out in front. A good value and an enjoyable dining experience.

Date of visit: May 2012
Reviewed 29 August 2011

From http://Wakeandwander.com:

The night before I disappeared into the woods for a couple days, my friends and I decided to go out for a meal - to celebrate various things - and we wanted a casual place where we could push back our chairs a little bit, get our fill, and throw back a few drinks.

Mexican won out over sushi and we chose Altamirano's on Hollister in Old Town Goleta.

Side note: Those two types of food might pair better with drinks than any other food type. Mexican and margaritas, Japanese and sake - quite the combos.

And I was craving a margarita - excited to order one and hang out in what is truly a relaxed atmosphere - but I was stunned when the waitress told me it was a wine margarita, that it wasn't made with tequila.

She said they didn't have tequila.

I told her it was a Mexican restaurant.

She said they didn't have it, that they didn't have a liquor license, and that it was made with white wine.

I told her I'd have one, but that I was upset.

She said she'd be right back, and a few minutes later she brought the drinks over (my friends were smart enough to order beer). I accepted the drink cautiously, eyeing the contents.

I am all for trying new things - which is why I ordered it, to see what it tasted like - and I don't believe I'll be having another margarita that isn't made with tequila. It was way too juicy without the bite of the booze - almost like drinking bad sangria.

I don't know man - with so many Mexican restaurant options in Santa Barbara, why wouldn't I go to one that serves tequila? Maybe you don't like margaritas, but I think there's a marg drinker in every circle of friends (be nice to your friends).

It's frustrating to me because the food at Altamirano's is solid - I had simple tacos and they were very good - and everyone at the table enjoyed their dishes. If the food was bad, I could just write the place off and be done with it.

Yet the food was good, and I'd love to go back and eat more - and I guess I could drink beer - but come on.

It's like a burger joint not serving ketchup (and I love me some ketchup).

Date of visit: August 2011