“Worth the Drive”

Zosia Cafe and Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Graton
Reviewed 31 March 2017

This is a small but very nice eatery. The food is local and the quality is high. We had a lovely lunch with a delightful soup made with celery. The menu is not large but does cater to every taste from vegetarian to meat lover. Try it you will like it. On a sunny day the patio in front is the place to be. Parking can require a block or so walk.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 3 March 2017

I was excited to see an Eastern European cafe open. My cultural heritage is Slovak, and I saw that there were cabbage rolls and pierogi on the menu, so I was looking forward to eating there.

I was disappointed, however.
(prices as of February, 2017)

The food is not bad, but certainly not as good as I expected.
(I hesitate to say that it's not as good as my Baba made, but what is?)
Anyway, the cabbage rolls ($10 for two) were rather lackluster in flavor. Very bland somehow. I am used to them being served with sauerkraut, but this was not the case -- they were in a thin tomato sauce. Not bad, but not that great.

I ordered pierogi. ($10 for 6) They have three kinds: meat, potato, and mushroom/sauerkraut. I wanted to split the order -- 3 potato and 3 mushroom. But the waitress said I couldn't -- I'd have to order 6 of one kind. Really? I ordered the potato. They were okay. They had potato and farmer's cheese. I'm used to potato and cheddar cheese with a bit of chopped onion. (Okay, so this is a personal preference, the way my Baba made them, so I can't really fault them for being a little different.) But, besides not being able to mix an order, they were small. Really small. Certainly not worth $10, in my opinion.

Partner ordered the pelmeni. Six small (again, small) dumplings in a very weak broth. $10

The waitress brought us some nice brown bread.

Service was good.
Decor is very moderne.

Overall, though, for the amount and quality of the food, I think it's overpriced.

Probably won't return, unless friends want to try it. Then we'll give it a second chance.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 12 February 2017

My wife and I went to Zosia Café and Kitchen for brunch on Sunday 12 February.
We were interested in trying some of the Eastern European offerings.

My wife ordered the special of the day pork schnitzel and I had the Bigos – hunter’s stew. My wife enjoyed the schnitzel but not the side of cooked cabbage. Also the few small pieces of potato did not add much volume to the meal. She would have ordered the Pierogi but was disappointed to learn the six Pierogi without a side.

I enjoyed the Bigos which translates into “jumble’ or ‘mishmash.’ The mixture of various meats, mushrooms and cooked cabbage was tasty. However, the serving size left my big appetite wanting a little bit more. I saved the two small pieces of bread served with the Bogos to soak up the juices in the bottom of the bowl. You may want to ask for a spoon to eat this stew rather than the provided fork.

I assume it was the chef that made a trip from the kitchen to our table to inquire on how we were enjoying our meal.

The black coffee I had was very good. The waitress said it was from a local Forestville roaster – Sunshine Coffee Roasters.

The service was fine, although I had to ask for a coffee refill after quickly downing my first tasty small cup.

The restaurant is newly remodeled with a motorcycle theme, although far from a biker bar.

I think it would help if the chef thought of adding a bit more in terms of side dishes to be offered in addition to entrees. Perhaps one Pierogi, a small cabbage roll (gołąbki), or link of kielbasa.

Date of visit: February 2017