Fern Grove is surrounded by beautiful Redwoods. We biked to Armstrong Redwoods on our first day to do some hiking. The trees were magnificent, and the woods were easily accessible. Fern Grove even has some awesome bikes that they allow their guests to use free of charge!
On the second day of our stay, we drove to the beach. It took us less that 20 minutes to get there. The coast was really spectacular, surrounded by huge cliffs and the sound of waves crashing. We loved it so much, that we spent the whole day soaking in the sun.
On day 3, we went to Bodega Head, a popular whale watching site approximately 40 minutes southwest of the cottages. We went on a short hike (~4 miles) and had some great seafood (try the crab sandwich!).
For our fourth day, we went to some of the local vineyards. There are literally hundreds of them, and Fern Grove guests receive free tastings at a lot of them (ask the owners about the wine pass). Korbel, a champagne cellar less than 10 minutes away, has a fascinating tour that ends with a complimentary champagne tasting. We enjoyed every minute of it and ending up taking home a few bottles of moscato.
Finally, on our last day there, we explored the Russian River. We rented a canoe from Burke's canoes and paddled down the river. It was so peaceful and gorgeous, and we came across a handful of exciting rope swings along our journey. There were multiple spots to beach the canoes and go for a quick swim and/or do some sunbathing. At the end of the canoe trip, we hopped on the Burke's bus to get back to the car and drove back to our cottages for our last night.
Our stay at Fern Grove was nothing short of spectacular. The cottages themselves are adorable and have many amenities (pool, complimentary breakfast, fire pit, grill). Everything was clean and the owners (Jenny and Sherman) were very helpful with their recommendations. We will be returning as soon as we can!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fern Grove Cottages were built in the 1920's for vacationing guests visiting the Russian River area from nearby San Francisco. The tradition continues, as Fern Grove Cottages remains the Russian River's best getaway. The cottages have been lovingly restored and most still retain their original knotty pine ambiance and warm yesteryear memories. Everyone is welcome at Fern Grove including well-behaved pets and children, with prior notice.Fern Grove is located just three blocks from the village of Guerneville with its quaint shops and selection of wonderful restaurants. You may also enjoy an easy walk to the nearby swimming beach on the Russian River. And of course our guests are invited to enjoy Fern Grove's heated saline water swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Fern Grove Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fern Grove Cottages Hotel Guerneville
- Fern Grove Cottages Guerneville, CA - Sonoma County