“Great Chinese food in Idyllwild, One of the best unless you drive to China Town”
Review of Hidden Village - CLOSED

Hidden Village
Reviewed 20 January 2014

It's true that when compared to Chinatown caliber cuisine and other larger restaurants in Monteray Park or Chinese enclaves that Hidden Village doesn't measure up. But that's wholly unfair, like comparing the height of the tower of Pisa to say the Empire State building.

Change your perspective, and look at this as a Chinese restaurant in Riverside county, and you will begin to appreciate the quality. Put simply, we've all had the crappy lousy oily Chinese food in the LA area and this IS NOT IT. While Hidden Village may not win culinary awards or import the best chefs from Hong Kong or mainland China, the family that has kept the establishment going in a rural mountain town should be applauded for their efforts.

And, folks, the food is good. Perhaps not excellent or exquisite, but definitely good to very good.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Hidden Village has been the only Chinese restaurant in Idyllwild for many years, and it has managed to stay in business through economic hard times which have caused many other restaurants to go under. However, the quality of the food has been going downhill, and I doubt that we will go there again. I ordered wor wonton soup, which I have had many times in the past, but this time, there was very little chicken, shrimp, or pork in the soup, and it was disappointing. My husband ordered shredded Szechuan pork, and he also noted a sparsity of meat in his dish. Our experience has been that the prices are going up while the quality of the food is going down. There may not be other Chinese restaurants to visit in Idyllwild, but there are lots of other restaurants to choose from which have better food at more reasonable prices.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Great friendly service is the only positive aspect of our visit to this restaurant. We ordered the family dinner for 4 and had to pay extra for tea and rice which was not included. Total price for 4 was $75, not worth the price. We ordered both the Kung Pao Chicken and Cashew Chicken, both dishes looked identical the only difference being a few cashews sprinkled on top. Moo goo gai pan was bland with only a few pieces of very thin chicken. The pork dish with carrots had no flavor. Overall the food was served hot but lacked flavor and eye appeal. Chinese food from your local shopping mall or fast food chain is much better, also the serving we're surprising small for a family dinner we had no leftovers and the men in our group left hungry. There are much better food choices in town, we will avoid this one in the future.

1  Thank psmconnor
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We wanted to try the only Chinese food in town so we went to Hidden Village (the restaurant is hidden in the trees and is just adorable!)

We opted for the outside seating and sat under a big umbrella on an elevated deck that overlooks a peaceful neighborhood.

The food was amazingly fresh. We had the sweet and sour shrimp (shrimp fried to perfection and served with a light and delicious sauce) and BBQ Pork Fried Rice (really - the best, freshest fried rice I think I've ever had)

Loved it. Will go again !

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Last time I was here was 4 or 5 years ago. I have been here many times over many years & always thought they served excellent Chinese food.

What happened? Atmosphere is still the same but the quality of the food seems to have sadly declined. I'd call it mediocre at best. Now I'm wondering if I thought it was so good before because I was so ravenously hungry from the 10 - 15 mile hikes I just came off of.

I would not return here since there are so many better options in town.

Nice feature - indoor or outdoor seating & casual atmosphere.