All reviewsgas station next doorjohn wayne airportdirectly across the streetorange countymile radiusfree shuttlehotel shuttlemacarthursnaoc
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here when Air Alaska's new plane wouldn't start. The good: short walk from the terminal, maybe 4 blocks. Pleasant front desk staff. Good food at a decent price. The bad: There was a planeful of rooms available when other more expensive hotels were sold out, Large hotel but I saw few other guests aside from fellow stranded travellers. Carpet is icky smelly stained worn. Room is dated. Exorbitant charge for the water bottle in room. Only a small tag indicating so. There may be a shuttle...but not when you need it. Long walk to room -outside past the pool area was pretty, but significantly less appealing in the rain in the dark on the slippery floor. No other way to get to bar, lobby, restaurant without 7 steps.
Michelle in the bar/restaurant was wonderful, certainly the bright spot. She alone was the bar tender, cocktail waitress, food waitress. She smiled and hustled the entire evening. One more indication that they expected no guests.
It was better than sleeping on the floor in the airport. It didn't cost me anything. That might earn it 3 stars were it not for the smell. If you can, stay elsewhere. Significant renovation needed.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

An acceptable hotel at a reasonable price directly across from the airport. You COULD walk over, but they have an easy free shuttle.
Two hours free parking.
Food walkable nearby so we did not try their restaurant
Nice pool
Area if you are staying a while.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2018

Front Desk staff was very accommodating and friendly. The room was spacious and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel. We needed to leave for the airport at 5:45 am and the van was there ready to go, close to the airport. I would have rated it a 5 but there were no vending machines. We ended up going to the gas station next door (recommended by the front desk).

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank pmc1951
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I arrived at Atrium very tired after a very long flight, confident that I could check in my room with no problems.

As it often happens with European credit cards, the swipe did not go through when the receptionist required the authorization for incidentals. The receptionist did not know that she could insert the data of the card manually in the system, as EVERY HOTEL staff does in this kind of situation, and a chip reader was unfortunately not available.

I had more than enough money to pay for the whole stay and leave a deposit: more than 500 dollars in cash, which the receptionist did not accept, and also a debit card (which surprisingly did not work either, which is weird because I’m still using it *all the time* in the L.A. area during my trip).
I proposed several solutions for this technical problem, I even opened my laptop and showed the balance of my accounts on my online home banking, I even proposed to wire transfer as much money as was requested instantly!
The people at the lobby WERE NOT INTERESTED AT ALL IN FINDING A SOLUTION AND DID NOT ALLOW ME TO CHECK IN, EVEN IF I CLEARLY HAD MUCH MORE THAN THE NEEDED AMOUNT OF MONEY.

Unfortunately, the Orange County hotels were fully booked (it was Saturday night, before President’s day), so I had to call a cab and get to a friend of mine living in L.A., and that’s a very expensive ride.

This extremely unpleasant situation has never happened to me anywhere else in the U.S. and in the world. I am still traveling (for work) in California, and I have NO problems at all in ANY hotel: If the swipe has an issue, the receptionists always enter the data manually, or use other solutions (e.g. request a payment and not an authorization on the card).

The hotel manager (who clearly failed to train the staff of receptionists properly) later apologized and invited me back, but I was already settled elsewhere. He did not respond to my request to be reimbursed for the taxi ride to L.A.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Daniele G
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

So they don’t tell you 1. Room service doesn’t work (shows on the site when you book but nope) bar has no tv (not a big deal if tonight wasn’t the college championship.), if you want to valet you have to park in the atrium, and go to the desk - but you don’t know that. The small sign implies “go to desk when it’s closed”. Prices are good but service is NON existent. These seems small but there are a host of them.pay the extra $10/$20 and stay next door.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business