US$54
Safari Motor Inn - Joshua Tree(Joshua Tree)(Great Value!)
US$52
Casa De Frank(Joshua Tree)
US$52
Desert Lily(Joshua Tree)
Joshua Tree Inn(Joshua Tree)
Agoda.com
All reviewshot waterreflectiondistractionarchitectureflashlightcampingshowerpropertydesert
Reviewed 24 May 2017

We had the pleasure of speaking at Contact In the Desert.
The architecture is by Frank Lloyd Wright which brings its own unique quality. The landscaping, natural rolling pathways, fountains and vistas are remarkable. They offer a wide variety of opportunities to stay from primitive camping to well equipped casitas. Keep in mind that the emphasis of your stay is on simple beauty and well being, so there are not many intrusive distractions, the rooms are not equipped with phones or televisions which is delightful. Should you decide to dine, the food is exceptional. Good clean, wholesome food offering a nice selection of vegetarian and meat items. Quality.

Room Tip: If your needs are minimal, camping might be your ticket, while if you prefer a bed, shower, etc. they can accommodate.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2017

We went to the Sat Nam Fest (a kundalini yoga festival) here. We camped. The camping is in the desert, no shade or protection from the elements, maybe a 1/4 mile downhill from the buildings. They had clean port-o-potties set up, but I did not see any permanent toilets The shower building is in the far west corner of the camping area, you might want to find the shower building before you set up camp because it can be a long walk otherwise. There are no electrical outlets nor mirrors in the shower facility, and it is in the more rugged style of camping showers. I did have hot water though. The food was awesome, and the property has a lot of little paths and benches with reflection/meditation areas. The paths are all sand, sometimes deep sand, and I didn't enjoy wearing flip flops. There are also lots of sharp desert plants, so sturdy footwear is a must. I didn't deal with the retreat staff, just the Sat Nam volunteers. The weather here is harsh, very hot, arid, and windy, with very little protection. We brought a black light flashlight and found a scorpion on the road; only 1, and we were looking for days. We camped next to a shooting cactus (shoots it needles if it is disturbed). Interesting place to see but I have no desire to go back ever again.

As for the Sat Nam Fest (I was only moderately familiar with kundalini before I went), I found it too "self-help-ish" for my personal taste. It might be better if you are actively dealing with addiction or some issue. I thought a lot of the participants were persnickety especially if you accidently touch their yoga mat or pillows. I felt like an infidel became we don't dress in white with white hats. My kids (age10 &12) went to the kids camp and loved it. They swam, hiked, did a little yoga learned some mudras and learned about the desert landscape. Kids camp staff were caring and engaged. The sound system was excellent as was the music. Luckily. I found plenty of Vinyasa and Hatha yoga to entertain myself.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2017

This is an amazingly spiritual place - picture a vortex like Sedona.
Large group rooms that are perfect for sacred ceremonies and meditation. It was built for that purpose.
Very dark skies -- perfect for stargazing. Has a fantastic spiritual bookstore and gift shop that is a must visit in its own right.
Love the vision and history of this place and the people are very friendly and helpful.
The rooms themselves are very old and in serious need of updating. But they are warm, have hot water and if you are not expecting normal hotel / b and b amenities and want to get very "stripped down" this can work. Think of it as a step up from camping and not a true "hotel" and your expectations will be set about right.
The place is a historic gem.. the architecture is fascinating and the whole history of the place is phenomenal. I believe it is a non profit - a very good cause.
The food that was prepared for our group was all vegetarian and delicious.
Stayed in one of the Ridge rooms. You can hear noise from the highway but ear plugs will totally eliminate it.
For groups looking for something very spiritual and unique with a great history and vibe that is quite affordable, this can work for you.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2016

The venue was perfect. The speakers were amazing. Will be going back next year. Enjoyed the evening events. Venue was super clean. the staff was professional and friendly. The water stations were great.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2016

I was at this site for the 4th annual Contact in the Desert event. I worked as a volunteer at the event, so camping was comped for my service. I pitched my tent at the Light Post camp area. Although there were porta poties positioned for the conference, there weren't any in the camp area. The JTRC seemed a bit run down from the public areas I saw. Camping was uncomfortable since late night revelers had free reign. Won't be back again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo