All reviews my husband and i poached pear cozy room home away from home next morning main building tucked away each morning the cottages dawn innkeepers fireplace town birds california trees gourmet
Reviewed 14 March 2014

First, let me say I can't see making Julian a regular getaway. It was a nice place, very relaxing, but I feel once you've visited the town, you've done all there is....at least for a drive as far away as LA. But, my wife and I did love the Butterfield Bed and Breakfast. The property is very well kept, there are treats available 24/7, there is an extensive movie collection and the breakfasts were uber delicious. Like many others have mentioned, the owners, Ed and Dawn are gracious and charming hosts and the conversations with them and the other guests were a real treat to start the day.

While I found the city cute, I doubt I will make a point to go again any time soon, but when and if I return, I would definitely make the Butterfield my place to stay.

2  Thank Rob1301967
Reviewed 1 March 2014

What a quaint and beautiful place this is. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The room was so nicely decorated and incredibly comfortable. The wood-burning fireplace in the room was the perfect touch. Outside the scenery was so pretty and the surroundings really peaceful. Breakfast was delicious, and the hospitality unbeatable. We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: In the winter, be certain to choose a room with a fireplace.
2  Thank Cristina W
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This homey little B&B made a relaxing, small town getaway. The room (Rosebud) was very comfortable; it had a futon for a couch a wood-burning iron fireplace, plus all the amenities necessary for a weekend getaway. We celebrated a Valentines Day, Birthday, Presidents Day weekend combo and it worked out great.
The owners, Ed and Dawn, make a hearty breakfast each morning. There are many movies, books, games, snacks, and lounging areas to make the stay relaxing. Outside the B&B, there are many events: hikes, shops, apple pie, wine tasting, mini train ride, live music, and apple pie, lots of places for apple pie...
The town of Julian goes to sleep around 7:30 but Wynola is 3 miles away and goes late into the night, meaning 9:00 pm. The B&B has dozens of movies to view on DVD or VHS, and hundreds of books to read.

Room Tip: The Butterfield B&B is located on a quiet road with no distractions and it is very quiet. Since the facility is over 80 years old, it has a rustic noises and the wood beams creek, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to have ear plugs or light the fire with a crackling log.
1  Thank Tim_the_Enchanter417
Reviewed 16 December 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing getaway in Julian, then the Butterfield Inn is what you are looking for! My wife and I stayed in the Stanza Italia room, and found it to be cozy and romantic, which was the perfect combination to celebrate her birthday. The room was clean, which was of most importance to us due to my wife's severe allergies. The environment was warm and inviting. The innkeepers were a delight to talk to, always with a smile and kind word (Thank you again for the extra fire logs!) I arranged for a horse drawn carriage to pick us up from the inn before dinner, and we were pleasantly surprised to see both Dawn and Ed waiting to take our picture and send us off! We will definitely be booking with them again.

Room Tip: Stanza Italia is cozy, clean and romantic. It is close to the dining area with private access to the garden and car.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loretta L
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Nice quite area near to Julian. Comfortable room. Heater in bathroom (need that for my home!). I wanted a hook to hang my shirt in the bathroom. It was there. I wondered if the outside stairs were too dark coming back late at night. Then noticed each step had a low level light. All the trails were lighted too. Nice common area and very good breakfast. Got a couple coffees and brownies for a late night snack and was worried I might drop something. Then I noticed the stack of trays. Anything I needed seemed to be right were it should be.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple