“Lovely Italian in a comfy intimate setting”

Stella Italianfare La Jolla
Ranked #31 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Eight of us stopped for a nice meal after work. The setting is small and intimate, with room for a few large tables. Even so, there was no noise from the other groups. The menu has a typical italian variety of the dishes you know and some you don’t. We had Fritto Misty and Buffalo Caprese to share. Both excellent choices, the calamari was plentiful and enough for our party of eight. The Caprese absurdly fresh and flavorful. I loved my wine - a Barbera D’Alba with lots of options by glass or bottle. I had a layered eggplant and beef I could not possibly finish, it was the size of a small football, and wonderfully reminiscent of something a friends grandmother would make for me. All my friends loved their meals. Definitely worth a return trip.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

We were impressed with the high quality of the food being served. We stopped I on a busy Friday night and had a wonderful meal. I had a pasta special which was wonderful and my wife enjoyed her shrimp special. The service was excellent.

1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 27 September 2017

This delightful gem tucked into a strip mall off Towne Center Drive in UTC (not downtown La Jolla) is fantastico! We met with 3 other couples for dinner and were treated to exceptionally delicious food in substantial portions and absolutely "spot on" service! Our waiter "Eric" was the best, providing sample tastes from a number of their nice selection of wines for us to choose the few we settled on. I had one of the "specials of the day" - Osso Bucco - that must have simmered since noon that day into a "fall off the bone, melt in your mouth, abondanza entree" of incredibly flavorful meat accompanied by beautifully wide, fresh fettuccine dripping in the thick, rich, and satiny brown sauce the shank had spent the day flavoring. I don't think I've ever had better Osso Bucco anywhere! All of the dishes of our friends were equally delicious and the lasagna was particularly mouthwatering. I can't wait to return!

1  Thank DesertLovr
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is a quaint little place located in a non descript strip mall. The pasta dish with porcini mushroom sauce was off the hook. The beet salad and Mediterranean salad was awesome. The night we were there the special was the pork osso buco. Tender and cooked to perfection. The side pasta was phenomenal. Make sure to try the tiramisu. It's unlike any version you've tried outside of Rome. The staff is attentive and Mauricio the owner makes sure that everyone is pleased with their meal. A great touch to a really good restaurant.

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

The small restaurant in La Jolla is like a hidden gem and still undiscovered by many and even the locals. Very good food great deals excellent drinks and wonderful service with outstanding views near the beach. The pastas are amazing and just wish they were open much later because they miss a lot of business closing so early. If more people knew about this place business would skyrocket because the food is so good.

1  Thank kevin s