“Surprising Seafood Jewel in the Desert!”

California Ocean Grill
Ranked #40 of 120 Restaurants in La Quinta
Reviewed 14 February 2017

We decided to eat here on a whim. I was shocked, it was so delicious and was a perfect casual restaurant to enjoy on a laid-back evening. This place is conveniently located in an average shopping center. The interior was clean and you can see that the owners did their best to make it look modern and upscale. The night we went, there was a painting class on one side of the restaurant, the type where you drink and paint along with an instructor. We did not participate but it looked fun and I give major props to the management for doing something like this, because it shows they care about their business and getting people in the doors! My husband ordered the seafood platter and I had the taco trio, with grilled shrimp, battered fish and grilled steak. My tacos were EXCEPTIONAL. The grilled shrimp were so flavorful and the battered fish was some of the best I have had in a long time. He had some battered shrimp on his plate and they were equally as delicious. We also shared the Clam Chowder Fries (fries with clam chowder poured on top) and they were sweet and salty with a great consistency. They also sold beer, so I enjoyed a cold Pacifico with my meal. The service is casual, you order at the counter and they bring the food to you with a table number. The price, although not as cheap as fast food (of course) was still super reasonable, especially for the quality of seafood being offered. We will return.

1  Thank NickABQ
There are newer reviews for California Ocean Grill

Reviewed 10 February 2017

When you walk into California Ocean Grill it looks sterile, like a fast food joint. Don't let that detour you, the food is GREAT! As the name implies, the fish is grilled, not deep fried like another touted seafood restaurant nearby with better décor. My wife and I came here for lunch and were greeted by Celena who was very friendly and helpful, a credit to this restaurant! I had the Seafood Salad with Asian salad. You could have that dish with Caesar or house salad as well. My wife had the Fish Tacos (2) which had a lot of fish and fixings with 4 tortillas.. Both were around $8. each and healthy portions. For that price you have your choice of Cod, Salmon, Shrimp, Tilapia, Catfish, or Sole. Mahi-mahi and Ahi Tuna are $1.50 more. We opted for the Salmon in both dishes and it was grilled to perfection. Request that the dressing come on the side for both dishes. If you get the fish and chips, a popular dish, that comes deep fried so you miss out on the best and healthiest way to cook fish. The fries looked good however. There are many other menu options like Crab Cakes, Ceviche, Surf and Turf, but none over $14. This place is a bargain! If you thought this review was helpful, please let Trip Advisor know.

2  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 18 January 2017

We were here last year and thought we would try it again. There was waaaay too much batter with our (thin strips) of cod. Fries are a small serving but they were fresh and not frozen. Why they put the hot fish on top of some shredded cold lettuce I'll never know!
There has to be a better fish n' chips place here in the valley. The search goes on. Oh, by the way, their soda dispenser was down. Choice of water, beer or wine. Staff was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

A friend recommended this Restaurant a while ago as a fresh fish alternative to our usual, local, well known option. We were not disappointed ! My Wife had 2 Grilled Red Snapper Tacos and a side of Brussels Sprouts. I had the "Surf & Turf" Tacos...Beef, Grilled Cod & Grilled Shrimp with a side of "Bacon Chowder Fries"...Everything was delicious ! I probably over-ordered but it tasted so good I finished it all ! We will definitely be back !

Reviewed 6 December 2016

I love coming here for lunch or dinner. Their new menu is very affordable and they have some new items like the protein bowl. Your choice of brown rice or rice pilaf, avocado, cabbage, pico de gallo, their specialty sauces, and your choice of protein. Also, the fish tacos are HUGE and delicious. The restaurant is clean with a focus on healthy eating. I will be coming again soon!!