“Could be good”

Selanne Steak Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Selanne Steak Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 183 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I noticed the restaurant, right across the street from my hotel. Looked very interesting so I wanted to give it a try. I was dining alone, and I don't enjoy sitting at the bar for dinner so I had a table. After being seated and looking at the wine list, which was extensive, I asked to see the sommelier, It was a little busy but I waited 15 minutes and he had not yet come to my table so I ordered something that I knew. I thought it would have been nice had he passed by later for an introduction but he didn't.

For an appetizer, the server recommended the scallops, which were very good. For my main course I ordered a skirt steak. The cut of meat seemed very good but it was smothered in a sweet sauce which I didn't like at all and which was not reflected on the menu or mentioned to me by the server. The sauce was overwhelming, there was no flavor in the meat due to the heavy sweet sauce. Had I known, I would have asked them to hold the sauce and I'm sure it would've been fine.

The bar was very crowded, and it did have a nice vibe. I think it would be really good, but you need to know what to order and have a good description from the waiter as the menu is not very descriptive.

With that, I would give it a recommendation with the caution to have a nice discussion with the server before ordering.

It is not cheap, my bill was about $230 for one person with a bottle of wine that was about $120.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

The service and wedge salad was good, and my filet mignon tasty. Beyond that, the two beef entrees were overdone. My husband was highly disappointed with his ribeye as it was chewy and not the medium rare he ordered. The asparagus side was tepid, if that, and the baked potato wouldn't melt butter. The dessert menu was disappointing, so we did not order anything there at Selanne. With so many other fine dining establishments in OC and LA, I would definitely recommend going someplace else. My husband called and spoke to the mgr rather than writing a negative Yelp review. All the woman mgr could muster was to offer a free appetizer upon our return. She did not think of actually inquiring whether we would return. (She certainly did not offer to prepare my husband a new steak.) A few evenings later, I went to Carlitos Gardel Restaurant up in Los Angeles. The meal was absolutely amazing from start to finish. Service was impeccable as was every morsel of food. What a difference! Selanne lacks; we will not be back.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Four of us chose Selanne's to celebrate our trip to Laguna Beach. This was the first visit for all of us to this restaurant. We made reservations for 7pm on a Sunday and were seated after a short wait. We chose to sit outside. Our server - Dimitri - was excellent. Knowledgeable, friendly and very attentive but not overly so. He started off by opening the special bottle of Cabernet that I had brought for the occasion.

Three of us ordered the Wagyu flat iron 8oz steak and one ordered the 12oz Wagyu skirt steak. Accompanying the steaks we ordered the mushrooms and the Yukon gold mashed potatoes. The entrees arrived shortly thereafter and after we each sampled our entree - it was unanimous. The steaks were excellent and appropriately cooked as ordered. The side dishes were also excellent, with the mushroom dish tasting truly excellent.

My test for grading a restaurant's performance is to pose the question: This meal would have been better if ....... If I struggle to come up with something, then that means it was an overall excellent experience. Which it was.

Two additional comments: The price of the meals was commensurate with the quality of the food and the service. Second: we were lucky and found a parking spot on PCH near the restaurant. I do not know if the restaurant offers any dedicated parking.

Highly recommended for fine dining.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

3 of us went here on a Saturday night. Sat at the bar and Rachel the bartender helped us, she was fantastic! Scallops were my favorite, truffle popcorn was a good starter. Every plate has a nice presentation, old fashion drink is a must!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Everything was excellent about Selanne Steak Tavern. Eat outside if you can. We got:

Skirt Steak (cooked rare plus)
Halibut
Carrotts
Brussel Sprouts
Scallops (as an app)

Everything was delicious - service was great. If you are a tequila drinker - get their own aged tequila on-site. it's great for sipping and reasonably priced.

Overally our meal was flawless and our bill wasn't outrageous as maybe we expected when we sat down. Highly recommend.