“Very consistent spot for classic French Bistro cuisine with a decor to match”

Left Bank - Larkspur
Reserve with OpenTable
Left Bank - Larkspur is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Larkspur
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ward St.
Transit: Golden Gate Transit across the street. 5 minute cab ride from the Larskpur Ferry Terminal.
Description: Left Bank is an authentic Parisian-style brasserie located in the historic Blue Rock Inn in charming downtown Larkspur. Built in 1895 during the railroad era, The Blue Rock Inn was a popular weekend destination for San Franciscans to come dance and picnic under the stars. Open since 1994, Left Bank continues to be a destination for folks from all over the Bay Area to enjoy a casual snack on the sunny terrace, a glass of wine or hand crafted cocktail at the lively bar, or an elegant dining experience near the fireplace. At Left Bank, you are sure to capture the true feeling of the Rive Gauche in Paris. Nineteen years of working with local organic farms allows us to bring you the best seasonal ingredients available. Chef de Cuisine Fabrice Marcon offers an often changing, French brasserie menu of hearty, rustic, and authentic dishes featuring a diverse selection of natural meats, sustainable seafood, fresh local vegetables, salads and sumptuous desserts.
Reviewed 15 November 2016

I have eaten at the Left Bank on countless occasions over the past 15 or so years. It is one of the few places in Marin that always has steak tartare and many other French standards on the menu. The staff is always friendly and the bartenders always fun to chat with. Over time, there have been some changes to the menu, as there have some changes in the kitchen. However, the experience at the Left Bank always deliver a pleasant time.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank AvidTravelStefen

Reviewed 3 November 2016

I ordered filet of sole, served on top of shredded brussels sprouts and topped with lemon butter sauce. Generous (I took 1/3 home for next day's dinner) and absolutely delicious. One of my tablemates had the butternut squash ravioli and was disappointed, but she enjoyed her beet salad. Service was very attentive but I felt rushed, as though they were trying to get us through before another seating. That is not very European. In fact, twice the busboys tried to take my dessert plate before I was finished. We had a 5:45 p.m. reservation.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Right across the street from where we were staying, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Left Bank. Beet salad and mushroom tart were excellent as was the fish of the day--halibut, cooked to perfection. Just like being in a Paris bistro and altogether satisfying night. Save room for dessert!

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

There are no "off nights" at this place. The food and service are consistently good. Best mussels in the area and a terrific happy hour. One of our local favorites!

Reviewed 11 October 2016

We'd been hiking up around on Mount Tam and by 3:30 were heading back to San Francisco when one of the group said "let's eat over here, I'm hungry now". Immediate agreement, then a discussion of "Where to eat?" was underway when we were stopped at the traffic light in front of Left Bank. "Hey, this place is open, let's try it!"

I'm glad we did! My only (and minor) complaint was that we were initially given the luncheon menus; I wondered if (and it was approaching 4PM) if we'd run afoul of he French end of lunch start of dinner timing. We did; when the waiter came to take our order, he apologized for "oh, I gave you the wrong menus". The only disappointment was that the Lamb Sandwich was not on the dinner menu.

Soup today was potato leek and it was delicious. At home, a big bowl of this and some good bread would have been a meal by itself. Two of the three of us orders soup, the third wished he had after tasting.

My friends (a couple) did some strategic ordering and sharing. She chose the soup, and two appetizers, the charcuterie (chicken liver mouse) and the brie cheese. He chose the Salad Nicoise, sharing ensued. I managed a taste of the chicken liver and it was good.

I ordered the prix fixe menu of soup, charcuterie (duck confit) and the Steak Frites. Soup, superb. The "duck confit" was not what I've had (MANY TIMES) In France when ordering Duck Confit. It was more of a tasty but mild paté; served appropriately with good mustard and toasts. I did not complain, as it was good. A confit of canard should have been a duck leg or thigh cooked in fat; the flavors any time I've had it are distinctive. On the other hand my hanger steak was delicious and the grilled tomatoes excellent. I'm not a huge Frites fan, so I ate as many as I wanted without cleaning the plate.

Service was friendly and good, and prompt (we were the only people eating outside when we started). Our dog was welcomed at the outdoor table.

One of my friends chose the house rosé, it was quite good. The wine list was not extensive but seemed reasonably priced. I had the honey ginger lemonade, which was perfect after a day of hiking. My other friend chose iced tea; you can take the lady out of the south, but can't take the south out of the lady! None use chose dessert.

Total bill with tip a bit over $125, not bad all in all.

There is a large interior fireplace, I think returning here in the winter to dine inside might be a great idea.