“Retro and chill in downtown Long Beach”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I needed to be in Long Beach for a conference and the conference hotel (one of the chain ones on Ocean) was sold out. I found the Varden through yelp or tripadvisor (I forget which). SO glad I did. Everyone else was at the corpo hotel. I had nice strolls back and forth to the hotel. Allowed me to stop in to Recreational Coffee and and Made by Millworks on my ambulations. Parking is right next door and easy (no giant structure to deal with).

What they've doen exceedingly well is balance modern amenities with the early 20th c charms of the hotel. The neon sign is fandamntastic. I even loved the walk up to the rooms. It made me feel like I was in another era, but then I had wifi and a nice bed. I didn't partake in the breakfast or happy hour, but those are nice adds. The staff were nice and helpful. Not fawning, just attentive. I regularly do business in Long Beach (I live about an hour north) and have found my new go-to place. Sorry Hotel Maya--the cookies are nice--but I'd rather be in DTLB at the Varden.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Found this beautiful historic gem on booking.com..immaculately clean white tiny bedrooms.fantastic locatiom for public transport and main shops bars and eating..all the staff we encountered so friendly and helpful..even had the pleasure to meet the owner...tip stay there again..sure would..fabulous

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We found this hotel somewhat accidentally online, but we are very glad to have stayed there. The staff was incredibly welcoming from the first moments, and they were all helpful in directing us to sites around town (it was our first visit to Long Beach). Our room was cozy, but well-appointed with all we needed. Easy walk to Pine Avenue restaurants and bars, to the convention center, and to the beach and harbor. We'd absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the back was quiet
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I agree with all the positive reviews of the Varden from the excellent front staff to the extreme cleanliness, thoughtful design and pleasant vibe.

Because the Varden is so tiny i think it should be judged with it's supporting neighbourhood: best doughnuts in the world are next to the parking lot, friendly coffee shop across the lane, laundromat and excellent grocery store are across the street, transit station and bike share are less than a block away. nearby restaurants include vegan, juice bars, california cuisine, and many others.
the whole area is clean and litter free.
streets aren't too busy and people are courteous. The Varden is on the margin between busier downtown and sleepy residential neighbourhood. I love Long Beach but this little area is extra special. Long Beach is so not Los Angeles.

I stayed there for 4 nights last May and will definitely be back. The Varden IS the jewel in the crown of Long Beach.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonesy C
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

I'm so glad we booked the Varden out of all we had to choose from... the service is absolutely spot on. The Rooms were quaint but all that we needed. The Location is perfect. We arrived very early and they were so understanding of how exhausted we were, (36hrs travelled) and got our room ready for us asap. The guys at reception were amazing.... Do not miss a chance to stay here..... it is so worth it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple