“Great place to visit”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was on board for an event. Got the chance to wander around and enjoy the beautiful ship - many displays scattered throughout the ship. Could only imagine what it was like in the good old days. Daughter enjoyed the visit as well.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First of all, getting there by car was very traumatic due to roadworks and construction. After that it was easy to register and our room was super, large and well furnished and the temperature was good for us. We soon realised however that there are a few things that could do with being addressed. One of the lights was not working and another flickering constantly so we had to ring for someone to come to fix it. There was not enough toiletries but luckily we had a few with us to save going to bother reception. The towels had seen better days. One was completely threadbare with holes in it. There was no plug for the sink either so wasted water. We are glad we had the experience and walking around deck at night was magical thinking of all the people that had been there before.

Room Tip: Go for a king executive
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ELMANI
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The last time I stayed on the Queen Mary I had a great experience. This time, was different. I booked a room with twin beds 7 months prior to my stay. One hour before I arrived they ran my credit card which had been closed due to improper activity at some point which of course did not prompt me to remember this reservation at that time. So, they gave my room away but still had 2 single rooms available at no extra charge, but near the main elevator lobby. Great, but NO porthole in one! One room was very badly laid out (a porthole down a narrow hall and a fold down desk with no outlet and no chair). The other room had no luggage rack, no clock, no window. and a bath tub like a trough; I thought for sure I was going to fall since I could only hold my feet flat in the direction of the length of the tub. There was also trash in the sink drain; a tube cap and a piece of plastic. Neither room had a toilet seat cover. Despite all that, the ship is beautiful with an awesome ambience.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We always spend at least one night here while visiting California. This majestic ship is a winner for my entire family. The breakfast is delicious and we love the harbor views from our room. Prices are affordable too.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband & I travelled with his brother and his wife as part of their Golden Wedding celebrations. Our wonderful trip was to finish with three nights on the Queen Mary. There are three different aspects to a visit and all are run independently. So.... We dined at Sir Winston's - wonderful food and service, we had the Sunday Champagne Brunch - wonderful, we also did the historic tour round the ship - brilliant. Now to the down side - the hotel aspect. In short this needs closing down and the ship should concentrate on events and tours. We paid $205 for Saturday night and $169 for Sunday night but cancelled our booking for the Monday night. Our stateroom looked ok and the bed was clean and comfortable but that's the only good things we could say about it. I know we were staying on a ship that is 81 yrs old but there are still certain standards that we have come to expect even from very basic hotels such as a plug in the wash basin. This was funny really as there was a sign up asking us to not leave taps running whilst washing etc but we had no alternative! The tiles on the floor stuck to my foot when I walked on them. I learned to avoid that particular area of the floor. The housekeeping carts were stored on the corridors, room service trays were not cleared from the corridors either. The smell everywhere in the stateroom area didn't help either. Another gripe, there were very public areas to sit. In the hotel reception area there were perhaps 10 chairs and ourside the Starbucks on the Promenade Deck there were about 6 tables with perhaps 20+ chairs but these were all taken inside when the Statbucks closed at 6:00pm. This also meant that after 6:00pm the only way to get a coffee was to go to one of the restaurants but they weren't happy to just serve a coffee. My sister in law sat in one of the few chairs in the reception area whilst we dod the tour. She said that everybody who went to the desk during that hour was complaining about something or other. much to our annoyance there was a compulsory $16.95 charge per night for WiFi, use of the gym and to get a discount on tours round the ship. I Googled some of the booking sites for the hotel which all advertised free WiFi. On checking out we queried this charge and eventually got it removed. We were offered a free breakfast on the Monday to compensate for our complaints but we refused it as we just wanted to get off the ship. Parking is $22 per night. Another thing, we were not even given a map of the ship when we checked in - we had to ask for them when we saw other people with them. The Bell boys/ porters were very helpful as well. Sorry this is so long but what should have been a high point of our 2.5 thousand mile road trip from San Francisco via Grand Canyon and all the other fantastic places we visited, it was in fact the most expensive and the worst accomodation we had.The captain told us it needs $250m spending on it - they could save a great deal by closing the hotel aspect and just having a couple of staterooms done up and included in the historic tours. So to conclude, -visit, tour, attend an event,eat BUT DON'T STAY.

Stayed: October 2017