“Interesting Structure”

Ranked #73 of 590 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A unique folk-art masterpiece, this 99-foot-tall group of steel towers is decorated with scrap metal, bed frames, bottles, ceramic tiles, and thousands of seashells. One of LA's famous local landmarks, the towers were created by a construction worker who toiled over them in his spare time for 30 years until their completion in 1954.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Watts Tower is one of those strange interesting things are fun to stop to see. Had heard of it and seen pictures of it for a long time. It is an interesting art work. I didn't do the tour but there are bill boards along the fence that tell the story and you see the whole thing from outside the fence.

1  Thank e a

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We went with a group of friends early on a Saturday. Make sure to do the tour! At first we were a bit disappointed because at a distance, they are not so impressive. When you go into the center and watch the short film, you begin to gain an appreciation for how amazing the structures are...built by one man with no machinery. Then when you go inside for the tour, you can see all of the details that cannot be seen from the street. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable. This was a first for most of my group and we all said that we would recommend it to our friends!

Reviewed 9 July 2017

I have lived in LA for many years and did not know about the Watts Towers until I saw them in the movie La La Land. So, I finally took a trip to go check them out. The whole story behind it is interesting, and I think it is worth a visit. Aside from the guided tour around the towers, there is also a short movie about the man who built the towers himself, Sabato Rodia, over the course of 30 years. Check it out!

Reviewed 7 July 2017

This is my new favorite not-the-ordinary-outing for our out-of-town visitors. The towers are right there in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and the entire visit, including an informative tour, can be accomplished in under an hour (actually around 40 minutes if you timed it right--30 min's for the tour, and 10 minutes to watch the video on the tower creator, Simon Rodia. Everything about this attraction is quirky and fascinating.

Well worth the $7 charge for a tour, which is scheduled on the hour and the half (be sure to bring cash!)

1  Thank TrDCpr
Reviewed 4 July 2017

This display is just towers of junk that someone threw together. I found it uninteresting and a waste of time. People have made a bigger deal of it than it is worth. Also, the attraction is in the Watts Area of South Los Angeles and not a very safe area to be in.

3  Thank Metrotorrance