“Not a very nice hotel, not a very nice area”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed 6 December 2014

The hostel was sort of fine for its purposes but it was not an overall good experience. Especially the fact that my booking was almost declined because I had some problems with my credit card (and couldn't pay the 50 dollar deposit by card). I offered to pay cash but this was impossible at first. Then, luckily, the woman offered to let me pay a 100 dollar deposit (crazy) in cash. When I asked why, it was because the rooms were shared (don't know why that would matter) and in case I would make the towels dirty. Seriously? I arrived in a room with one bunkbed but no other guests (which was nice, of course) and I ended up using my own towel.

I didn't like downtown LA much, but that was ok because I spent the day at the beach and it was close to the train station, where I had to be in the morning. For any longer vacation I would advise anyone to stay away from downtown LA.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Annika B

Reviewed 25 November 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, beautiful place, perfect staff, little bit better than your usual hostel. Rooms are clean. Good location for buses and metro. Downtown LA is now perfectly safe and welcoming. Next door, there's a fine foods organic restaurant (very cheap).

Stayed: November 2014
4  Thank Jovan Vladimir B
Reviewed 24 November 2014

When I booked this hotel, all my friends that lives in LA said this will be a dangerous area. However, the streets and people near this hotel are very nice and friendly. This location is golden for its low price. the hotel is right in downtown, next to the 7th street metro station and only one stop away from Staples center/LA live. Highly recommended for backpackers.
And just a heads up, all the bathrooms/washrooms are shared in hallways like a dorm

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Peng A
Reviewed 13 November 2014 via mobile

I googled the Cecil Hotel (previous name of this hotel) before we booked here, so I was preparing for the worst! Notorious serial killers and the unfortunate/mysterious death of a girl in 2013 who died in the water tank...needless to say I wasn't the one who hit the 'confirm booking' button - that was my boyfriend as he decided it would be an 'experience.' After a 5 hour long greyhound ride from Vegas, I couldn't wait to get my head down.
The hotel entrance is actually really nice, the staff were very very helpful and friendly. For the 'full experience' we booked a room with a shared bathroom, but the girl at the check-in desk very kindly found us a room with a toilet in. This was my first experience ever of staying in a place where I didn't have my own bathroom. But the price was ridiculously low compared to other hotels in the area.
The room itself, very tiny and dated. But I didn't find any bugs in our two night stay which is good because they'd scare me more than the ghosts there!
The hotel is in a good and bad location. Good because you're close to everything - we went to the Staples Center and caught an LA Kings game. Bad because of the actual area itself - we arrived after dark and it's not an area you'd go wondering round alone.
Overall, I would take more money with me on my next American trip and stay somewhere else. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but the actual room, the horror stories & my boyfriend taunting me telling me ghosts were wondering around in the room after I fell asleep - not really a place I'm going to miss...
But how could I expect more for the price we paid? The shared bathroom experience wasn't that bad either, I just stayed in my flip flops because I didn't want to touch the floor with my bare feet - probably my paranoia more than anything though!

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed 13 November 2014

Well. What can I say, the girlfriend was scared then place was haunted after reading the sordid past of this hotel, and despite staying on the fourth floor (room 440) where the ghost was sighted on the famous photo.. We did not see any hint of the paranormal, the area where the hotel is located is pretty central but is a short walk from the 'nice part' of downtown LA (figeroua) and on the walk there you will be hasseled numerous times by homeless folk with shopping trolleys and McDonald's cups asking for change, just either donate or politely decline and they are harmless. Staying in this hotel is a short walk from the staples centre and this allowed us to watch a LA Kings ice hockey match which I can thoroughly recommend.the rooms are basic but clean and the price is unbeatable for the location (right next to where the Greyhound dropped us off) so 5stars from me.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple