“Perfect stay”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed 16 December 2014

I stayed with my friend in a twin room. We didn't have our own bathroom but the shared ones were very clean. We had breakfast which was very nice and extremely good value for money. I think we paid around £23 each which we think was very good value for money. The hotel is a distance from the center but no drama. We would stay again

Room Tip: you get what you pay for
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LauraMalachy

Reviewed 14 December 2014

We stayed here for a wedding. It was a 10 minute walk to the venue. Right in the heart of downtown. Walking distance to clubs, restaurants and farmer's markets. The charm and beauty of the hotel are timeless. While the rooms are small, they served their purpose and met our needs. We recommend this hotel to anyone looking to "ball on a budget" while staying in DTLA

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanika W
Reviewed 11 December 2014

This hotel was much cheaper than the other LA hotels I saw online. And I guess you get what you pay for. The room was dark, smelly, gross and noisy, I didn't even want to take my shoes off. To be fair, we had booked one of the cheaper rooms, maybe the pricier ones are better. But the corridors were even worse, they stank like stale old cigarette smoke. The location was a bit of a ghetto too, it's in a shady area of Downtown. And the cab driver who took us back to the airport told us the hotel had been the scene of a series of spooky murders! They changed the name from The Cecil after the last incident which was in 2013, one of the guests went missing and was mysteriously found dead in the building's water tank. Google it! And what ever you do, don't drink the tap water.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
20  Thank WildArrows
Reviewed 6 December 2014

The hostel was sort of fine for its purposes but it was not an overall good experience. Especially the fact that my booking was almost declined because I had some problems with my credit card (and couldn't pay the 50 dollar deposit by card). I offered to pay cash but this was impossible at first. Then, luckily, the woman offered to let me pay a 100 dollar deposit (crazy) in cash. When I asked why, it was because the rooms were shared (don't know why that would matter) and in case I would make the towels dirty. Seriously? I arrived in a room with one bunkbed but no other guests (which was nice, of course) and I ended up using my own towel.

I didn't like downtown LA much, but that was ok because I spent the day at the beach and it was close to the train station, where I had to be in the morning. For any longer vacation I would advise anyone to stay away from downtown LA.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Annika B
Reviewed 25 November 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, beautiful place, perfect staff, little bit better than your usual hostel. Rooms are clean. Good location for buses and metro. Downtown LA is now perfectly safe and welcoming. Next door, there's a fine foods organic restaurant (very cheap).

Stayed: November 2014