“Great Hotel...Perfect Location!”

Ranked #209 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel...Perfect Location!”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I picked this hotel by reading the review on tripadvisor. Only rated a few stars, but the reviews were good and the price was right. A single mom with 4 children , the area seemed safe before the 9pm hour. The suite was very clean, but had a slight "old" odor as it is very vintage. Ran into a few problems but the staff and manager was very accomadating. Small continental breakfast was available every morn. This hotel was the perfect location if you want to take in all of Hollywood Blvd. A short few blocks to the blvd, subway , bus and tours. If you want to save lots of $$, I suggest you go to the tourism booth by the Kodak Theatre and get a bus schedule to everywhere. For $1.50 you can go to Rodeo Dr, Venice Beach, CBS Sudios and the list goes on & on...

Room Tip: Stayed in the suite, very clean but
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SusanD8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My friend and I had used TripAdvisor before booking our stay here, thinking that the bad reviews were from people who had over reacted. Well, the reviews were true. Yes, it is in a good location for tourist spots, and yes the parking is free. But the positives end there. The room was falling apart. The carpet might not have been vacuumed in the last six years, and there was an M&M on the floor which did not belong to us. The shower did not have a shelf, so the soap had to sit on the floor. The level of quality and service would have been acceptable if the hotel was $40 per night, however it was much more expensive to stay there.

Don't be cheap. Spend the extra $50 to stay in a place you will not be sad to return to each night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mariemarblehead

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

California
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I usually rarely complain much about hotel rooms, but this place really took the price.
When we came to check in the front desk guy reminded us that we would be getting the "not yet remodeled room", and claimed we already had been notified about that. No where did we see this mentioned when we booked the hotel room or was told about that. We went up to look at the room, and it was disgusting and looked like a room that hadn't seen maintenance or updating in 50 years. It smelled like the doors and windows had been closed for just as long.
We complained about this room, because it was in a completely unacceptable unliveable state. I've never in my life seen as bad a room as this (and I've been to some shady places in my life).
We got moved to a remodeled room. While this was better, the state of this room is what I would have been expecting from a room that's "not yet remodeled". There were several items that were more or less broken. Not so broken that it didn't work, but so broken that I would never rent out a room in that state. Generally it felt like nothing is repaired until it's completely broken. Electrical outlets was missing cover plates, wires were coming out of the walls, the aircondition cover was knocked half-way off and had a power cable across the floor to an uncovered outlet. Holes in the ceiling, termite infested walls. Several of these things are as far as I know illegal!
The iron was missing, and I requested one. One was fairly quickly delivered, but it had burnmarks on the bottom (would have left ugly stains on your clothes). I filled it with water and plugged it in, and minutes later noticed that the water was pouring out and down the wire. I got this replaced with a completely new one, but it's a good example of the hotel only replacing stuff when it gets completely broken, and not fixing stuff that's dangerous or unpresentable.
Some things had been fixed, but done in a way where there was lots of original (old) interior, combined with new replaced cheap stuff which wasn't true to the original interior (which is a shame because this could have made it a really cool 70s style hotel).
I would NOT stay there EVER again. Who ever manages this hotel it cutting so many corners, that he/she should be banned from running anything building-related.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank asdasdadadasdas
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is an older property probably built in the 60's. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place. The rooms are dated and the bathrooms small but the room was clean. The location is great if you are planning activities around Hollywood Blvd. The young man at the front desk was very helpful with directions and recommendations for places to eat. We will be returning in August and will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I had only expected to spend one night here, in a ground floor room. This room was fine however after a single night I decieded it was o.k. to perhaps book the rest of my stay here. I got room 221 from May 6th to the 17th, a two bedroom suite. The room was painted all white which made it quite bright. Since I had decided to give this property my business, the manager showed me around and gave me an attractive reduction on the room rate. There was a full kitchen at my disposal and everything worked fine. All the staff I came in contact with were helpful and pleasant. I am not fussy about alot of things except for the room being clean which this was. It also had a huge balcony which was nice in the evenings. Free parking was also a huge plus in a city that loves it's parking charges. As for what others have noted, it all depends on what they are looking for . Yes this hotel is old, yes the rooms vary, and yes sometimes if you are rude or worse dishonest, the staff may not be as friendly. My time here was delightful, the staff just fine and the manager treated me like a valued resident, what more could I ask for. I will return to this hotel without a second thought!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms right of pool are the nicest.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family