“Worst Indian food I ever had”
Review of Mr. Masala

Mr. Masala
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. Masala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,976 of 10,808 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I went there for dinner one night and ordered vegetable biryani and samosa. While their samosa was okay, their biryani is terrible (I am an Indian so I know what I am talking about). Their biryani is more like fried rice with vegetables. I complained about it to the owner and he said that he knows that it is not biryani but it is not possible to make biryani the way it is made in India. I was like how come other Indian restaurants in US do it? And he stood there with no response.

I don't like to waste food but I had let that biryani go waste only after eating 3-4 spoons (I do feel bad about it).

Would not recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Food tastes horrible. Their chef cant cook indian delicacies.
Its a waste of time and money. The staff got an attitude and not at all friendly.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

I was in Los Angeles for a week. Of all the places we tried, this one was by far the worst. Here is why I am making such a statement. We went to have dinner on the Wednesday. There was a queue from the conference visitors (good sign for a restaurant, we thought). There were two guys managing the tables. We did not hear anything until our turn came(about 10 minutes). Then, just when we were being assigned a table, one of them rudely told us "it may take an hour to prepare the food". Well, how could they tell without knowing what was the order? Unsure if we wanted to wait that long, we left that day, and thought it was a bad day for the guy.

We went back next day for a lunch, since the place was not crowded. The same two guys were there, this time we got a table and less rude "welcome". However, nobody came to us for 15 more minutes, they walked by, arranged tables for others to sit. We were not served water. We ordered lamb biryani and chicken kabab. There were three pieces of chicken cubes in the kabab dish (really, 3 tiny cubes!). The biryani was interesting. It had cashews, bell peppers, peas and all sorts of weird ingredients along with lamb. I am from India, have tried all sorts of biryani, and plov around the world. Never had such a strange dish. Why do they call this biryani- I have no idea. We paid 17 bucks for that thing. The entire time we asked for water, but they would simply not bring it. After eating I had to go find water myself from a corner. I understand that this place is very close to downtown and a lot of people find it convenient. But it is a waste of time and money! Don't go! I don't know how they have survived in a place like LA where so many nice restaurants are to explore.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

A group of us arrived at Mr. Masala at 7 pm. Half an hour wait just to place an order. Another hour wait for the food. Meanwhile the restaurant, which claims to close at 11 pm, actually closed at 8.30 pm. We were told the chef was exhausted. The kitchen is visible from the eating area and the understaffing was evident. The food was good but unremarkable. Staff are friendly but overworked. I would not go back. The restaurant is near the convention center but seems under equipped to handle the crowds that naturally happen near such a venue.