“Le Diner avec Mom”

Ranked #335 of 10,359 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Taix French Restaurant has been a Los Angeles Downtown area landmark since 1927, and has long been known for its generous portions at moderate prices.
Reviewed 3 June 2017

Mother's Day 2017. Sister said, let's to to Taix, never been there. Whaat?!!!! Growing up we did not eat here, don't know why the family preferring to eat at Musso and Frank's Grill as the food at Taix is much better. Arriving 10 minutes late our reservation had been filched by another party, first time for this as well. Our Quebec born waiter Vincent did a most admirable job handling the whims of Mom who's 89 and is used to getting her way. We like to start any meal with a communal appetizer, generally calamari. Tender and not overly breaded it was a different version of what you generally get and was promptly disappeared. Soup of the day was Split Pea and is delivered in a large tureen so even if you didn't order it there will be enough for a decent taste. I decided to try the Sunday special Cassoulet. Marvelous, so rich and tasty I imagined the French army under Naploleon eating Cassoulet and marching to Moscow. Immediately I mentally made plans to return on a Sunday to have this dish again. The decor has not changed much over the years and while it might seem a little fancy for an average night out Taix is not stuffy and the area continues to revitalize itself. Mom got a thrill when she saw they had a Peach Tart on the dessert menu, she must be from Georgia as she will eat peaches anytime anywhere. We closed down the dining room that night and bid les freres Taix adieu for a little while at least.

Management response:Responded 9 June 2017

This was such an amazing review to read, Walter, and let me just say it's one of the more creatively written I've read in a while! I'm glad that you and your family decided to come by for Mother's Day, and I'm so happy that your mother got her way. I love that she was so excited about the peach tart! I speak for the team when I say we're looking forward to that return visit. I hope it's sooner rather than later!

All the best,

Reviewed 28 May 2017

Old school French restaurant, everything is delicious, service is perfect, ambiance is relaxed and quiet. I have never had a meal here that wasn't delicious. It's a great place if you actually want to have a conversation with your dinner party. One of my all time favorite places. I am always recommending it to people. A respite from the usual clanging, noisy L.A. restaurant scene. Other than Friday when the soup is clam chowder, there is a daily vegan soup and salad special for the vegan in your party. There used to be a vegan cassoulet but that has been removed from the menu. :( The prices are very reasonable for the kind of restaurant this is. Love it.

Management response:Responded 3 June 2017

I couldn't be more appreciative of those recommendations! Thanks so much for sharing them. We're honored to be on your favorites list -- I'm really happy that you've enjoyed the food and service alike!
Note- During the cooler seasons, we have as a Sunday night special our delicious traditional cassoulet.

Looking forward to next time,

Reviewed 10 May 2017

When visiting a restaurant there are three criteria; Food / Service / Ambiance. I'm still unsure where this restaurant fits.

The ambiance:Valet parking through a porte cohere that looks like a movie set from a 1960's western. Inside there are many smaller rooms, a main dining room, a bar, etc. - all in dark woods and mauve paisley. The decor stopped in 1973 - yet it isn't old - they decorated like that. The waiters are white shirt, bow tie, vested. yet it feels like Hotel Budapest.

The dinner crowd was dressed in shorts, T-shirts, with crying babies in strollers - in the dining room. They were all locals - not a tourist in site. It was authentic.

The service was not elegant, yet impeccable. Timing was perfect, knowledgable about the dishes, willing to accommodate requests, etc. It worked.

The food is classic - filet mignon / pate / moules-frites, escargot. The wine list is beyond approachable, very reasonably priced, and easy to pair with the food - St. Emillion to Cabernet Franc. The food was prepared perfectly - except the pate was not.

Why the confusion then? I felt like I was dining in a time and place that I would take my parents to when I was in college. Would I go here again? Yes. Would I try other places first? Yes.

Management response:Responded 15 May 2017

I do appreciate all of this detailed feedback. While we have our own personal style and are proud of it, we want everyone to walk away totally satisfied with their experience. I hope that when you do come back you'll let a server know if you pick up on something we can do to improve. We'd love the chance to do so!

All the best,

Reviewed 14 April 2017

TAIX original location was on a street near Grand Central Station - I cant remember my first visit there - could have been in the 1940's - 1950's at that old location.
then TAIX moved - to its' current location - into what was then known as Botwins -
as a child living on Waterloo street in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles, it was a favorite place of my mother to have dinner out. We could walk to dinner - or drive that short distance.

In the 1940's TAIX had family style dining - you sat at a table for 8 - each dish that day was passed between the diners, each taking a portion. The chicken was my favorite.
There was a salad, veggie or 2 to select - a soup - and cheese for dessert - if my 82 year old memory is serving me correctly.

I now live in Nevada - visit rarely to the Los Angeles are, but when my hubby and I do travel again to CA we are going to have dinner at TAIX - pronounced Tays - I
used to call it Taxis - I know I will have the meal of a lifetime.

On this format I have to select a year.

Management response:Responded 18 April 2017

This was so heartwarming -- I loved reading every word of this review. It's so cool that you recall your first visits to the Commercial St. location so vividly and that you're able to compare them to your more recent ones.
I am sincerely looking forward to that return visit -- hope to see you back soon!

Thank you for your years of patronage,

Reviewed 24 March 2017

Visited here for the first time at the suggestion of the other couple. I read up on the reviews and was interested to see what we would find. OLD, and not well kept up. Its one thing to be old and well maintained, Taix is not one of those places. Carpet and booths show years of wear. We were one of the first tables seated in the dining room on a Tuesday evening and others did show up, but it was never full. Cocktails we ordered were very good. Bread is always a nice touch, but better if served warm. Between the four of us, a variety of things were ordered. I had the wedge which was fine, but the blue cheese dressing was definitely very thin and watery. I had the filet mignon medallions special which was a nice presentation, but the medallions were ordered medium rare and were served medium well. When you are someone’s guest at dinner, I don’t like to make a big deal about kitchen screw-ups, so I really do need to rely on the integrity of the chef to deliver as ordered. A total failure in this case. Turns out everyone’s entrées were ok, but no stand-outs in group. Dessert menu could use an update, we had the cream brulee and apple tarte tatin, both were ok. We have no need or interest to go back. LA has a lot of great places and I am sure this was one of them at some point, but it certainly isn’t any more in my opinion.

Management response:Responded 30 March 2017

You're right that Los Angeles has some great dining options, and I'm glad that you and your party decided to try us out. It's disappointing that you didn't walk away more impressed with what you ordered, though. We set very high standards for ourselves here, and hearing that we didn't meet them in your eyes is concerning. I plan on talking with the kitchen about your feedback, so I'm thankful for the detail you left. I hope you had a nice time when you were in town, and I wish you all the best.

Warmly,