No photo provided
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 7 April 2015 via mobile

As close as it gets to Tokyo. Omakase is a beauty, with so many different and good balanced flavors. Service is super friendly and funny yet so refined. An absolute treat!

1  Thank crisaboumrad

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I really had to put some time between my visit before I posted this. I didn't want my emotions to taint my review, but even now, weeks later, I still feel the same way. I felt the meal was a 1 star, but am bumping it up to 2 b/c staff was pleasant and sushi chef seemed very nice. I feel bad about rating it so low, but I just can't believe how much we paid for what it was.

I first tried this place almost 10 years ago. This was way back in the day when my hubby and I were making pennies. We both recall not loving the sushi as well as the cost. But years later, after we have refined our sushi palates, we thought we'd give it another whirl.

I had the omakase, the one that ranges in price between $130-$180. My husband had the sushi omakase, that came out to the low $100s. We had two beers, one hot sake. Other than a few select dishes (tofu, some sashimi), the others ranged between below average to horrible. There were points where I was very afraid of what would come out next. I didn't like most of the flavors, and honestly, are you for real when you say it's "fresh?" You want fresh sushi? Go to Sasabune. Their fish melts in your mouth and they don't cut it down by a quarter of its standard size. Other reviewers are correct. They seriously make it smaller by at least a quarter.

So we get our bill, I thought I was ready for it considering I roughly recall being shocked almost 10 years ago. It was $400 for 2 people. I mean, I'm all about treating ourselves now and then, but it has to be WORTH it. This did not qualify. Incredibly overpriced for slightly above average quality sushi. Will I ever return? NEVER. I'll stick to Sasabune.

1  Thank keyser_soosie
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I'm very glad a Japanese business associate took us out that night, because the total for our omakase (chef's choice) ran to $225 per head before liquor. That being said, I've been going to Japan regularly since 1980 and this was hands down the best Japanese sushi and sashimi I've had anywhere, anytime, with the exception of one sushi house in Tokyo. Yes, that's correct - after 33 years of eating sushi/sashimi at least once a week all over the world, I can categorically say Mori is the best.
You can save a lot by NOT ordering omakase, or going for lunch. Highly recommend the tuna -- I didn't realize you could get that quality in America. (Someone told me the chef/owner flies it in from Japan, but I find that hard to believe.) I'm not a mackerel fan, don't like uni, but even they tasted good. Ikura was stunning, eel was fabulous. The homemade tofu is to die for. Enjoy!!!

1  Thank krashtest d
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is some good sushi - there is no sign outside just a fish. I lived in the area for over 15 years and I loved that I could walk here too. Besides R-23 this is the BEST. Period

Reviewed 7 July 2011

This guy knows his sushi. As said in other reviews he grows his own rice and grades his own wasabi. It is an amazing sushi experience. Highly recommend to all true sushi aficionados.

1  Thank Nelyons