“French Cafe”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

This restaurant was highly recommended by a gentleman in the hotel lobby. I'm glad we listened. I had the steak & frites, my wife had the onion soup, our daughter had the duck. Everything was awesome! Including the staff. Very polite and very helpful. The bread is from the bakery down the street and is really good. It does get a little loud, but that's all part of the atmosphere. For a few minutes I forgot I was in the States.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

The small dark restaurant is abuzz with diners and the noise level is extremely high; it is difficult to have a conversation. But the food is excellent, our group had delicious and juicy fillet mignon with Roquefort, very tender duck breast, halibut, beef and frites, beef Stroganoff. The onion soup was good, the escargots did not come in shells and the usual French desserts were excellent. Service was attentive. A most welcome sign at the door states, "No WiFI!! HERE WE TALK TO EACH OTHER".
Unfortunately, no reservations on week-ends but if you call when on the way they will save you a table.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

With a dim atmosphere and actual French waiters, one might think this place stuffy, snobbish, but they'd be wrong. Yes, the waiters (and probably chefs) are French, not snooty, easy going and very good at what they do; knowledgeable of the menu and efficient, you'll want to leave a good tip.

My wife and I dine here for several special occasions, especially as our go-to birthday dinner restaurant. For two people, with wine, appetizers and dessert you will spend over $100, but not much over--and you don't need to eat that much. We did on our first visit and nearly had to be wheeled out of the place; the portions are larger than you'd expect in a French restaurant. But you'll want dessert, too, if only to share one of the fabulous creme brouillette. You can enjoy a fine meal here for under $50 if you skip starters and enders (before tip, of course).

Here are the entrees I've tried:
Filet mignon in port sauce: fantastic! The whipped potatoes are incredible.
Pork chop special: best chop I've ever had, cooked to perfection.
Scallops special: very good, but not as satisfying as the dishes above.
Boeuf bourguignon special: my wife loved it; I'm not a stew kind of guy.

Granted, we've been so lured by the specials we have yet to really sample the regular menu, other than the escargot and creme brouillette, both of which we adored. But I vow to you, good reader, that upon my next visit--which will be soon--I will finally have the rack of lamb or the trout, both of which I'm dying to try... unless the specials look too good to ignore again.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Good service, nicely portioned meals, and superior cooking skills make this a can't-miss restaurant. The filet was excellent. Prior time I had the entrecote--also a huge winner. Salads are very nice also.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Just like being in France. Good is amazing and the ambiance is totally French. Try the beef and frittes or the soup. I just wish they had cassoulette occasionally. Can be crowded.