“This was a disappointing visit”
Review of Yabu

Yabu
Ranked #1,484 of 10,808 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

This WAS my new fav Sushi place on the West Side but after last night, it has lost its crown.

Service was poor, despite it being quite quiet.

Sushi was average and nothing special. Fish didn't seem quite as fresh.

3.5 stars

Time to find a new sushi place

Reviewed 18 February 2015 via mobile

More recently i have struggled to find a good sushi place on the West Side. Sugar Fish is hype and other places just rip offs.
Super fresh fish, excellent rice, friendly service and great sabu...also reasonably priced
Definitely recommended. My new fave sushi place on the West side.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

A secret to many unfortunately, but this is one of our favourite Japanese restaurants in the city, in California ok in the world. The best dishes are the lotus root sides, the burdock, the crab hand roll. Fresh dungeness crab no less. The ginger minced chicken on rice, the best. If there space at the counter its a good place to sit and watch the chefs. Pure Japanese "mother's kitchen" at its best.

1  Thank fay V
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I lived in Japan twice, so I feel qualified in saying that in my experience, Yabu serves the Best Soba Outside of Japan. Actually, everything I've eaten there is great!

The place is small. And though the service is efficient, I don't find it to be very friendly, and that has not changed over the many years I've been going there. If you can endure that, and you love soba, it's worth going to Yabu.

2  Thank TokyoJoe55
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The food here is always good. I have tried so many things on the menu here. I bring my daughter here to eat at least once a month. Their homemade cold Soba is excellent. I also like their hot Udon noodles, a perfect al dente texture. Things I order basically every visit include the tapas size chicken Kariage, cold spinach gomai, the monkfish liver....my daughter loves their fried tofu! We eat at the West LA site (have never been to the West Hollywood version). They also make a delicious homemade tofu that is silken soft. They do have valet parking, which is good because self parking in this neighborhood is tough. The restaurant can be very busy, so reservations are a good idea during peak hours and weekends. The lunch menu is basically the same as the dinner menu, but a bit less expensive. They do serve sushi here as well, but I basically come for the noodles and other offerings, though the sushi I have had here is good.

1  Thank mayalavender