“A unique and challenging way to see some of LA's most prized possessions.”

L.A. Bike Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 26 July 2015

This adventure was one of the coolest things I've done in any of America's big cities. We weaved and bobbed up through Griffith Park, down through Hollywood Blvd, the Sunset Strip, and up through Beverly Hills. Ted's confident riding through busy areas and general expertise of the area were invaluable. The rental bikes were so far above average that I hate to even use the word. Customer service and professionalism were the highlights of the day.

As for the ride itself; be prepared to work and you will reap the benefits of an experience most people could never enjoy! We covered almost 50 miles in/around/through Los Angeles and some of it's neatest places. A true 5-star experience in every way. Would recommend to all biking enthusiasts.

Thanks Ted!

Reviewed 16 May 2015

We were visiting LA following the Tour of California cycling race. I found Ted and LA Bike Adventures as I was looking for something different and I didn't want to visit the usual tourist places around town. I have been to LA quite a few times and didn't feel like sharing LA with all the people. My wife hadn't been to LA before and I wanted her to see something that not everyone who comes here gets to see. Ted was very quick to reply to my initial inquiry and we started working out a plan for the day, taking into account our riding experience and physical fitness. (Be honest with Ted and yourself about your expectations and fitness as he really wants you to enjoy the ride). Some of the hills in LA region are very challenging to say the least. We are traveling with our own mountain bikes so we really were paying for the Ted's first hand experience of the area - which is extensive. As the day of our booking approached, LA got its first serious rainfall in 18 months. Ted was very quick to engage with us about our options for the booking and the possibility of it all happening. Well, the weather cleared enough for us to head out, and as we were staying so close to Ted he swung by and picked us up with our bikes. We headed off to Topanga State Park and surrounding area for a great ride. We clocked up just under 40 km for the morning and had a great day. The climbs were tough but achievable and the technical descents were a lot of fun. We would never have found this without Ted, so use his experience and local knowledge. Despite some cloud, the views got better as the sky cleared and the views of LA were amazing. I think we crossed the path of only a few people in the whole time we were riding. Ted rents out bikes if you don't have one, so give it a try - you won't be disappointed. Thanks Ted.

Ted B, Owner at L.A. Bike Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2015

We had to wait until the last moment to make the call on this one. California was getting showers from a very late storm and I wasn't sure if we'd get out. Well, in true Cali fashion the clouds parted and gave us a few hours of great riding. Thanks so much for the opportunity to ride with you two!!!

Reviewed 11 May 2015 via mobile

Ted, the guide, goes out of his way to make sure you're having a good time and the trips are tailored to your specific fitness level and interests.
The ride I did was a perfect combination of off-road tracks and paved roads, made possible by using cross bikes. It really was the best of both worlds.
Ted also gives some interesting "behind the scenes" info on what it's like to live and work in L.A.
Highly recommended.

The great thing about this job is that I get to enjoy a day of cycling with great people too. Thank you Erik for the ride!

Reviewed 12 September 2014

L.A. Bike Adventures is a great experience. On a recent business trip to L.A., I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Working within my schedule and location, Ted, the owner of L.A. Bike Adventures, met me near my hotel with bikes and other gear. We then did a 40 mile cycling ride that was amazing, particularly for its changing scenery. Starting in the city, we rode up into the mountains and soon were away from it all. Throughout the ride, Ted had great information and interesting stories about the history of the area. On the fly, Ted customized the ride based on my interests, stamina level and cycling ability. We rode on pavement, gravel and dirt, along city bike lanes and fire roads cut through the brush. The cool morning weather was perfect for cycling. This was an unforgettable experience for anyone into cycling which I would highly recommend!

1  Thank SLNKRN
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Background:
I'm riding approx. 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year on my road bike in Europe, mostly the Alps. I was planning to spend my holidays in California and therefore I was looking for a road bike rental company in the northern LA area to do some road biking in the Santa Monica Mountains. Via Google I found the homepage of L.A. Bike Adventures. They offer cyclocross bikes, i.e. road bikes with broader tires and disc brakes/cantilever brakes. E-Mail contact was quick and very friendly and so Ted, the owner, offered to change the tires from cross tires to normal road bike tires. So, it would be a descent road bike.

Bike pick up:
When I arrived to pick up the bike, everything was already prepared. Ted is so nice and totally bike addicted! While doing the last adjustments, we were chatting about possible routes and other stuff. Very nice person.

Guided Tour:
I also booked the 40 miler for the following Saturday with Ted as guide. Awesome ride on nice streets, great stories from Ted during the ride and also the off-road climbs in the Santa Monica Mountains were awesome. Not to forget the scenic views all the time.

Bike:
The bike was in excellent condition, no problems at all: Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw, Mechanical disc brakes (Avid BB5), shifting was smooth and precise (no gear change issues like with other rental bikes I had in the past).

Summary:
Excellent choice, the next time I'll be in LA, I'll rent again a bike from Ted to do some awesome climbs in the Santa Monica Mountains

2  Thank Da_Franz