“What a ride!”

L.A. Bike Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

Great route, amazing scenery and Ted the most natural bike guide you'll come across. His relaxed yet professional approach to the day really made it. My first time riding a Cyclo Cross bike but these were definitely the right bikes for this route, don't let anyone tell you you should be on a mountain bike. Honestly one of the most enjoyable days I've had on a bike, although I might not have been thinking that as I was climbing out of Tapanga!!!

Reviewed 4 October 2015

Whether you are a MTB rider or a road rider, LA Bike Adventures has got you covered for the ride of your life while you visit the LA area! I found Ted in October 2014 when I was on my annual business trip to LA. I said then that I would be back for more in a year's time, and here I am - Oct 4th 2015, recovering the morning after one of the best ride's of my life. LA Bike Adventures uses Cyclocross bikes, a style of bike I had never previously ridden - but am seriously considering purchasing for my winter road riding in the UK. They are the perfect machine for getting up the meandering dust tracks and across the ridges of the mountain tops, but also perform exceptionally well on tarmac - uphill and downhill. Very comfortable at all stages of the ride.

Ted will build a ride using Strava and send you it in advance to see if it suits your interests and fitness levels. He usually combines a good amount of off-road (dirt tracks) with on-road, saving the best to last with terrific downhill descents through Topanga Canyon to the Pacific Coast Highway.The views from any point on the ride are TRULY stunning.

If you are looking for a challenging adventure ride, or something more relaxed, or even just bike rental, LA Bike Adventures will take care of your every need. High quality bikes, perfectly prepared, and with repair kit - helmet - water bottles (to keep), nutrition, AND of course Ted - a true expert in his field, and just a really lovely guy to ride out with. Would STRONGLY recommend.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

This adventure was one of the coolest things I've done in any of America's big cities. We weaved and bobbed up through Griffith Park, down through Hollywood Blvd, the Sunset Strip, and up through Beverly Hills. Ted's confident riding through busy areas and general expertise of the area were invaluable. The rental bikes were so far above average that I hate to even use the word. Customer service and professionalism were the highlights of the day.

As for the ride itself; be prepared to work and you will reap the benefits of an experience most people could never enjoy! We covered almost 50 miles in/around/through Los Angeles and some of it's neatest places. A true 5-star experience in every way. Would recommend to all biking enthusiasts.

Thanks Ted!

Reviewed 16 May 2015

We were visiting LA following the Tour of California cycling race. I found Ted and LA Bike Adventures as I was looking for something different and I didn't want to visit the usual tourist places around town. I have been to LA quite a few times and didn't feel like sharing LA with all the people. My wife hadn't been to LA before and I wanted her to see something that not everyone who comes here gets to see. Ted was very quick to reply to my initial inquiry and we started working out a plan for the day, taking into account our riding experience and physical fitness. (Be honest with Ted and yourself about your expectations and fitness as he really wants you to enjoy the ride). Some of the hills in LA region are very challenging to say the least. We are traveling with our own mountain bikes so we really were paying for the Ted's first hand experience of the area - which is extensive. As the day of our booking approached, LA got its first serious rainfall in 18 months. Ted was very quick to engage with us about our options for the booking and the possibility of it all happening. Well, the weather cleared enough for us to head out, and as we were staying so close to Ted he swung by and picked us up with our bikes. We headed off to Topanga State Park and surrounding area for a great ride. We clocked up just under 40 km for the morning and had a great day. The climbs were tough but achievable and the technical descents were a lot of fun. We would never have found this without Ted, so use his experience and local knowledge. Despite some cloud, the views got better as the sky cleared and the views of LA were amazing. I think we crossed the path of only a few people in the whole time we were riding. Ted rents out bikes if you don't have one, so give it a try - you won't be disappointed. Thanks Ted.

Ted B, Owner at L.A. Bike Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2015

We had to wait until the last moment to make the call on this one. California was getting showers from a very late storm and I wasn't sure if we'd get out. Well, in true Cali fashion the clouds parted and gave us a few hours of great riding. Thanks so much for the opportunity to ride with you two!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 May 2015 via mobile

Ted, the guide, goes out of his way to make sure you're having a good time and the trips are tailored to your specific fitness level and interests.
The ride I did was a perfect combination of off-road tracks and paved roads, made possible by using cross bikes. It really was the best of both worlds.
Ted also gives some interesting "behind the scenes" info on what it's like to live and work in L.A.
Highly recommended.

The great thing about this job is that I get to enjoy a day of cycling with great people too. Thank you Erik for the ride!